Skip to main content

Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Mavrixx9
Contributor

Community Service course

Hi all. 

I noticed these days I have very little patience for people. My GP said, in order to work in Community Service industry, one needs to have high stress threshold. 

Due to my mental health issues, I just dont have that patience anymore. I get agitated with people easily. I have trouble being assertive. I tend to over react to situations.

Goal was to become peer support worker. Now I have to start over and pursue something else. I have worked in Banking industry and did accounting cert 4 at TAFE before. Perhaps try that again? what does everyone think? 

I want to pursue a new career. I had alot of time to think about my future while working in process work. My mental health issues are progressively getting worse. So although I am devastated right now, I dont have luxury to give up! I will keep fighting. 

I am currently enrolled in Community Service course at TAFE. I am thinking I should cut my losses and do something else. 

What does every one think?

Any ideas? 

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Community Service course

@Mavrixx9
If becoming a peer supporter is what you want to do then it still might be a good idea as you arent dealing with the same people constantly.
For me when i have done volunteer peer work so no cert required i spoke to them as a friend would rather than being uptight about it. I guess it depends on what sort of environment your in.

But if you are finding yourself getting aggitated all the time at people even over little things it might be a good idea to have a think about another career.

Another option could be to work on your mental health first and then enrol in a course.
It not giving up, it is reassessing what is most important right now.

Thanks @outlander

I guess I will do that. 

I think it’s good to do something you’re passionate about @Mavrixx9. I’m nearly finished my diploma in community service work and trust me, I don’t cope well with stress. However mental health is something I really wanted to work in so I’m going to try my hardest. Most organisations recognise the need for self care these days, as yes it can be stressful.

Well done ! Good on you.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance