Skip to main content

Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Gwynn
Senior Contributor

Daily self-care tasks?

It's been months since I was hospitalised and I'm still struggling to complete daily self-care tasks like showering and brushing my teeth. 

My new OT thinks I should go on anti-depressants in addition to my antipsychotic medication and that will magically remove the barriers to my mood getting in the way of my self-care.  She praises my 'insight' into my condition and won't see me unless I'm also seeing a psychologist - is this a sign that she's not comfortable with mental health stuff?

How do you get the daily self-care tasks done?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Daily self-care tasks?

hello @Gwynn 

my husband had to go on anti-depressants in addition to my antipsychotic medication to help him 

how about having a list and crossing them out when you have done them 

@greenpea@Faith-and-Hope@Appleblossom@Maggie 

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Gwynn I'm sorry you feel this way and you're struggling. I'm on antidepressants but not antipsychotics so I wouldn't know about those, sorry.

But I understand not wanting to do anything such as getting out of bed etc. I still manage to shower, get dressed, brush my teeth, etc. 

I'm not sure about your OT, that sounds weird, I'm sorry that she's like that.

I wish I had some self care suggestions but unfortunately I don't, I struggle with finding enjoyment and distractions and self care ideas myself

@Former-Member - what do you say to yourself about those self-care tasks that gets them done? like showering I've almost got myself convinced that I feel better once I've showered. it's getting easier to do that, even if I rewear clothes a lot or forget to brush my teeth twice a day.

@Shaz51 thanks for listening. Maybe it's not as bad as I'm thinking, being a dirty little feral. I should try out Habitica again, that might do it - it's an app.
Former-Member
Not applicable

@Gwynn I don't know. I don't struggle with hygiene stuff, sorry you and others do though. It's just natural to me

Sorry I'm not in a good headspace at the moment

is Habitica a good app @Gwynn 

how are you today 

how has your day been xx

@GwynnHello

I am actually on both meds and slowly trying to wean off the antidep first.  Also I am a bit humho about what is seen as daily tasks, and get up and do what I can, which can often be a wide range of good things, but not necessarily top of their list.  My mood is mostly a lot better than it has been, so I am going with that as a guide.

I am not like @Shaz51  and dont do phones or apps, but have done plenty of lists in my life ... hhhmmmm.

Take Care of you .. holding you gently ...

Smiley Happy

@Gwynn  Hey Gwynn and welcome to the forums :). My daughter has chronic depression and it is a struggle for her to shower and brush teeth. Anti depressents have helped and having care from a mental health nurse and ndis support workers plus time in recovery which can be months ..... dont be hard on yourself just take it day by day and if you slip one day that is okay too. You are human and if you dont have a shower for a few days so what. Be kind to yourself. greenpeax

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance