Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Decluttering and home maintenance

'Onya @Yimeepim 

Bedroom sort out underway = yay

Trust you recover from cold soon and other health matters can be attended to.

The shed is back to it's frustrating state. Mr Darcy has spread out some of the contents making access difficult while stacking other things on top of each other and putting unrelated things together. I am at a loss as to what to take with a heap of tools rusty and blunt. 

Is mr Darcy wanting to keep those tools @Former-Member? A friend was saying the other day that tools are the first thing they look for at garage sales because they can be so expensive otherwise. Maybe with some cleaning up of the rust, and some WD-40 on any moving parts, they could be worth selling and help with some bills or a holiday? Some hidden gems in cluttered sheds sometimes Smiley Happy

Mr Darcy is not a handyman @Ali11  no hidden gems in our shed. We have a few decent tools which I will take, most are $2 shop quality, few have been properly cared for. I would be embarrassed to sell them.  Likely Mr Darcy will see if op shop will take them.

Old chair and load of green waste to the dump today. Was going to clean gutters but had visitors. 

@Determined  👍

Mr Darcy has decided to give away some of the tool shed contents if he can find a suitable recipient (i.e. someone willing to take it).

Left of centre idea @Former-Member- if the tools aren't really useable, is there anyone in your area who does scrap metal sculpture? Gates, fences, and I've seen some impressive sculptures made from the oddest items too.

Believe-Garden-Gate-800x400.jpg

We don't know of anyone @Smc  but I am sure we will sort something out 😀.

Meanwhile... my Dad tended to get really good tools. I expect that his tools will see me out, and maybe get passed on to our kids.

Something I realised I've been thinking about from the wrong direction. I've made lists of all the furniture in our house, and highlighted a few things that I really don't like or use, and would happily get rid of, but the list is still too long. We have more furniture than we can use properly, because it doesn't fit.

So instead, I recently made a list of pieces of furniture that I would not want to get rid of ever, given the choice. Whaddya know, that's a much shorter list. It's mostly family heirloom pieces, a few favourite vintage/antique pieces, and a few which are just downright useful. (I've included in the "want to keep" list the special pieces that are still to come back here from Mum and Dad's place, but we need to make space for them.)

Then there's the things that fall between the two lists. I need to consider which of those might be worthwhile keeping for now, and which should be passed on. Some may be of more use dismantled and their components "repurposed". (Most of our furniture is "real" timber. We had very little chipboard before our house got flooded, and even less afterwards. That stuff doesn't handle getting wet very well. Ditto MDF.)

We helped our Younger Son out this afternoon with a "furniture shuffle". He took delivery of the sewing machine table that was his 21st birthday pressie, we picked up his new mattress for him, and removed his old mattress and an unwanted desk. We're keeping his mattress as a spare and getting rid of a couple of old and worse condition ones from here, and the desk is going to the op shop. Am thinking maybe I can add one or two of our unwanted pieces to the trailer as well.

Making the most of the opportunity to pass on furniture no longer needed  = 👍 @Smc .

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance