Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

TopDeck
Contributor

Finding it really hard to get employment

With little to no experience, no good references and a trumped up assault charge on my Police record, I am finding it very difficult to get work. Even volunteer employment. Many of them require National Police Checks and Working With Children Checks. Don't have a license either (way too broke to afford a car).

I don't know what to do. I can't stay at my friend's place forever. Rent is expensive in Sydney, only barely able to cover the rent here with DSP. I'm scared if it gets to the stage where I'm back on the streets; being homeless in rural was bad enough but metro homeless is even worse.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Finding it really hard to get employment

Hi @TopDeck ,

It's really hard sometimes.  Have you looked at using employment agencies?  If you leave your CV with them they can try and match you up with suitable positions.  I would look at trying to get some part time work with supermarkets or something manual, just to try and get some income and experience.  I know it might not be the line of work you want or ideal, but, it would be a start.

I realy hope you can find something soon.  Hang in there 🙂

Re: Finding it really hard to get employment

@TopDeck  Hey TopDeck I hear you and understand how you feel :(.  Have you tried the Salvos or the Samaritans? I am sure they would help a range of people from different backgrounds. I will keep thinking and if I come up with anything I will let you know. Thinking of you. peax

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance