Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Looking for work with a mental illness

Hi @emg_1 ive just looked on seek and saw a reception job at a psychs rooms. It’s part time to start with but poss of more hours. It’s only 15 mins from home. No exp needed. They will train. 

Now for a possible problem - I used to go to this clinic but changed psychs about 2 years ago. And I have a mental illness. 

Would that be a problem? I’m so tempted to apply but the owner psych will know me. He saw me twice when I was in mental health hospital. 

@Queenie what do you think?

That's a tricky one to answer @BlueBay. If it were me and it sounded like it was closer to my dream job, I'd apply. I mean in my dream job as a social worker, I'm sure I will run into people who have seen me very unwell. It's more about maintaining professional boundaries, if they don't overstep theirs I'm sure it'll put you in good stead for a rewarding career. 

Remember too they cannot simply discriminate against you because your mental illness, so if they are professional, that shouldn't come into it.

You never know unless you try is an old adage of mine I try to live by.

Hi @Queenie@emg_1

last night I decided to email my psychologist for advice reg job. She knows most of the psychs in that clinic. 

Not thinking she would reply ASAP she did. She suggested NOT to apply. She said it is a very stressful job and wouldn’t suggest it for me. She unlined snd bolded the word “stressful”. 

After thinking about the whole job I decided not to apply. 

Who was I kidding? 

I don’t need a stressful job I’m still stressed about my own issues. 

Looks like I’ll stsy where I sm. 

That's a shame @BlueBay. I can understand though not wanting a stressful job, I'm in a similar boat myself. You don't want to be re-triggered though through overwhelming stress levels though.

Thanks @Queenie  

I’ve been looking for a while and I’m getting really depressed even more do. 

I really don’t know what I want. 

Hi @BlueBay (🖐 to @Queenie and @emg_1)

I hope you don't mind me joining in at this late stage, I thought I might add something to the discussion.

When my sis decided to work after raising her kids, she asked me to help her with her resume and application for a position working at day care with little children. She was beside herself with fear and a lack of confidence seeing as she hadn't worked since being a teen.

She cried saying she didn't have any qual's or experience, but really thought she'd like the job. 

I put in her resume:

• Has 3 children, one with ADHD, one with severe food intolerances/allergies and one with an anxiety disorder.
  • She discovered she also has ADD later in life, so understands childhood experiences re same.
  • Extensively researched relationships with food and had the whole family tested for reactions.
  • Played a large role at each school her kids attended including being on boards.
  • Was an avid crafty creator and skilled with odds and ends to entertain her kids.
  • Managed her husband's admin for his small business.

These are only a few points I included, but you can see what I'm getting at yeah?

She went up against 30 applicants with uni and tafe qual's. During her interview, they said they were sad she didn't have qual's and would have to say no. Then! They chased her to her car and begged forgiveness. They didn't want to let her go as her knowledge and experience was too valuable. She got the job! 15 years later she's still there and is their most valued worker. She loves what she does, has gained her qual's paid for by the owner and excells at dealing with difficult kids.

She never thought for one second she'd ever work with children, but she was a natural. 

Inspiration can come from just about anywhere. Combining personal skills, qualities, knowledge and experience is always a positive addition to applications/resume's.

I hope this example helps...

My best;

Hope xo Heart

I think this is what I was trying to say but muxh better written haha

Thanks @Hope4me for your post. That’s fantastic about your sister with her job. 

I think I need to update my resume. 

I do understand what you mean. 

BB xx

I can relate to your post. One of the most difficult things for me to manage is identity fragmentation. I get a job, I stay a while (6 months to a year) and then I don’t want the job anymore because I have decided to pursue something else. I have had something like 20 jobs in the past 10 years. It’s easier to do when you are younger. Now I’m heading to 50 and I feel like my luck is running out. All the jobs I’ve had I’ve ended up hating. I’ve am trying to be productive and to write a book. I was ok until I got triggered and my identity confusion kicked in again. It is so exhausting to constantly be resetting like this. 

Hi @BlueBay,

Keep in mind that this time of year is the quietest time to look for a job. Most people came back to work after Xmas between 7th-21st Jan and many not back until school resumes.

Although we all here with struggles for mental health, I think the thing we all need to remember is that our illness is not us. It is something we deal with every day(some days better then others) but we are all fantastic people that have a lot to offer.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Franky

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance