Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Supporting my wife who lives with Borderline Personality Disorder while maintaining self care.

Hope counseling continues to be helpful @Determined  I am waiting to get an appt with a local service but am grateful for some carer gateway counseling in the interim.

Re: Supporting my wife who lives with Borderline Personality Disorder while maintaining self care.

Unfortunately she did. That was how I found the forums. Trying to research it. We have just passed 3 years since the treatment. 

She only had 4 sessions and it was stopped due to the adverse affect. Came at a high cost in my opinion. One of the biggest being emotional connection.  Hard not to resent that sometimes but recently I have been  reminded how lucky to still have her with us. 

I found ADs to be the main culprit with emotional blunting with Mr D @Determined  having said that his recent surgery has put a dent in the romantic side of things but  also noticed since one med is being tapered (an AP) that  'negative symptoms' have increased a little but diagnosis fell short of Sz in the absence of 'positive symptoms' . 

Mr D's memory loss is quite marked and appears permanent. Amongst other  things he cannot remember moving interstate 8 years ago and nothing has jogged any recollection.

Yes meds definitely have a big impact @Former-Member 

With the ect it was like flicking a switch one day to the next.  My mum was with me as she was my deiver at the time and even she was shocked at the change. 

Even morning phone call (asking me if I was goimg to visit..she would like to see me) to when I arrived in the evening (what are you doing here what do you want)  Romantic department was made redudnant on that day. Lucky to get a hug if she needs some comfort. 

With the memory it seems short term is has been the most affected. Or it could be that she is better able hide the big things through our lack of communication. There have definitely been times when she appeard not to know something but covered it up quickly.

Biggest event lost is a major crash of her push bike requiring ambulance attendance. (Major = she hit the ground at 70+ kph). 

What was the timing between bike crash and ECT @Determined 

Bike crash was ~12months prior to ECT @Former-Member 

Other than bruising she was very lucky not to have any significant injuries. 

Took her up to ed about 2 weeks post crash due to possible concussion symptoms but was cleared for that. 

She has a vague memory of being without her bike while it was in for repairs. 

Walking on egg shells here again this afternoon/ tonight.

I really dont have the emotional capacity to put up with this like I used to.

And I shouldnt have to.

All because the afternoon did not got to her timetable.  (We got home 1/2 hour later than she wanted and wr fogot some thing when we went grocery shopping). 

ohhh @Determined 

sending you lots of tender hugs 

I hope things are starting to settle down for you tonight 

it is hard  as I know even my mr shaz likes to be home by a certain or else ( but I don`t know why he does )

@Former-Member, @outlander@Smc@Faith-and-Hope@Jay-e 

Quick check of the meds when putting last nights rations out revealed that more than 1 morning dose had been  missed. Explaines some of the increase in anxiety and lashing out.

Darling is adamate  that she  has taken it though so thinking genuine omission with new back to school routine rather than intentional. 

I will have to keep a closer eye and remind as necessary. Other than putting out a daily ration for safety I try not ro be too overbearing to encourage responsibility and independence. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance