Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

What's YOUR relationship with coffee? (Horror story).

I love coffee. When I'm drinking it (especially hot coffee), it relaxes me. When it kicks in, I find it helps me focus better. Unfortunately, though, coffee got me into a bit of a pickle tonight. 

I know if I drink coffee while I am dehydrated, it has a terrible effect on me. I get insatiably hungry, and anxious. Well, I was stupid enough to drink coffee while dehydrated.. and dehydrate myself even more.

• Just after I came home from the cafe, I had to help move some tables, so I was walking around in the hot sun for fifteen minutes.
  • Soon after that, my brother wanted to go to Starbucks. He wanted me to drive a big car I have never driven before. I find driving stressful enough (I haven't driven a decent distance in YEARS). He casually said "let's merge onto a motorway." It was actually surprisingly easy, but safe to say I was sweating.
  • When we got there, I ordered a hot chocolate. More sweating.

So I was badly dehydrated when I got to work. I felt faint/weak, and so anxious that I felt like I couldn't breathe. I don't have anxiety that I know of, but I felt like I was on the edge of a panic attack.

I said one sentence indicating that I was sick, and my supervisor sent me straight home. She said that with the pandemic, anyone showing any form of illness has to go straight home. My manager will get in contact with me tomorrow.

I messaged her on Facebook, because my phone is disabled. My one hope is that she doesn't call my home phone instead, because my family will probably make a big deal about it if they found out I got sent off. 

I am hoping I can get it covered under sick leave no problems.. I can probably stay back tomorrow, anyway. She might ask me to do a COVID-19 test, but I don't see why. Anxiety is not a COVID-19 symptom LOL.

TLDR: BE HYDRATED BEFORE AND AFTER YOU DRINK COFFEE. More to the point, what role does coffee play in the management of YOUR mental health?

EDIT: Wow, she was really nice about it. She just said "that's cool, I'll get it to go to sick leave. Feel better soon." Smiley Happy .

2 REPLIES 2

Re: What's YOUR relationship with coffee? (Horror story).

Long story with coffee personally, but these days I leave it to 2 per day during the day. I dont go out for coffees often. Have done barista life in Lygon st in the 1970s! Think there is so much in your post though .. a lot to unpick.

CHeers @Former-Member 

Re: What's YOUR relationship with coffee? (Horror story).

I'm not a fan of coffee - don't like the taste. Funny story: last time I tried to have some to help with drowsiness, I took so long to drink it that an ant crawled in and started eating the milk froth. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance