Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

MovinOn1
Contributor

DBT - It has changed my life

I wanted to share my story here. 

I was diagnosed at 46 with BPD, and I was so relieved to finally give my disorder a name. By giving it a name, I was also able to seek treatment. I always felt broken and hopeless, and I was tired of trying to fit in and failing. I was tired of needing dugs and alcohol to numb the raging emotions I could not control.

My Psychiatrist admitted me to a DBT program in March 2018. I've been attending the program diligently - one day a week, and it has changed my life. I've been given tools to regulate my emotions, tools to deal with distress and tools to practice mindfulness. My anxiety has reduced - I can deal with it, I do not have any where near as many "bad days", and I am "adulting" better than I ever have in my life. I'm not cured, I'm not fixed, I'm not normal - not yet at least, but I am so much closer to having a normal and healthy life than I ever thought was going to be possible.

It's not easy, it's hard, really hard. I have to put in the effort to see the chages, I have to do the hard work to get the results. I want to be the best version of myself I can, so I'm more than willing to put in this effort.

My relationship wth my partner is better. I have adult discussions, I am able to stop before I do and say things in the heat of the moment during an argument, I'm able to ask for what I want in a mature and loving way, I'm able to say no when I feel I need to, and best of all, my partner is also learning how to be a better partner as I develop the skills further and share with him.

My work relationships are better, I can deal with (most of) the stress, I can deal with (most of) the people and best of all, the people I work with are seeing the changes, and they are all so supportive.

I once felt hopeless, now I'm full of hope. I once felt broken, I know now that I was sick, but I'm getting better. I can have a fulfilling life and experience all that it wants to throw at me, and I'll come out the other side a bit battered and bruised, but I'll be ok. 

I wanted all of you to know that it can be better - life can be better, your life can be better. You can have a fulfilling and (almost) normal life, you can learn to deal with your emotions and enjoy relationships, and best of all, you can feel love and happiness. It's not going to be easy, it's not going to happen right away, you might hve to do the DBT program two or even three times before you fully grasp all of the concepts, but any chance to have a better life is worth all of that hard work, right?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: DBT - It has changed my life

Hi @MovinOn1,

Thank you for sharing this with us! It's very encouraging to read that you have found something that is helping you so much. No doubt this post will inspire others. Hope to read further updates about your recovery experience.

All the best,

Chamomile.

Re: DBT - It has changed my life

Hi @MovinOn1. Thanks for sharing your story with us here on the forums.

I hear you when you say it was a relief to finally be diagnosed. It can be a bit dauting, but also comforting to know that there are other people experiencing similar symptoms to you and there are treatments available. 

It's so lovely to hear about your positive experience with DBT. It sounds like you have been very committed to the program and as a result have really been able to put those skills into practice. Noticing those improvements in yourself like your reduction in anxiety can be such great encouragement to continue with and commit to treatment.

I think your post will encourage others!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance