Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

sbmc
Contributor

Depression and Motivation

Hi there, 

I’m in a bit of a rut at the moment with my depression and motivating myself to do the things I know are helpful for me. Basically- I’ve spent most of my time over the past 3 weeks either in bed or sitting around. I have/have had several uni assignments due and haven’t been in to uni. I have only arranged to meet with friends 3 times, am not wanting to talk on the phone at all, am staying in my room and interacting very little with my grandma or aunt who I’m staying with. I’m not eating properly, not exercising, not meditating. These are all the things that help me get out of a slump but, as a lot of those with depression will know, sometimes it’s really hard to make myself do these things. I’m definitely needing more help and have an appointment with my psychologist in a few days. 

My question is, does anyone have any tips to share that work for them to get moving again? I’ve never used an online forum so I thought I might try this as a way to get in a more proactive headspace with others’ ideas.

Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Depression and Motivation

Hi @sbmc and welcome to the forums Smiley Very Happy Good to have you here and I hope you feel connected and supported. 

Depression can certainly sap us of motivation to do anything, even the things we know would help if we could muster the energy to do them!

I'm wondering if you would find this page helpful? It lists 24 tips from people with depression on how they get through the day.

Take care of yourself,

Jupiter

Hi @sbmc

no ground breaking advice for you but I can relate. I had a real rough patch about 8 weeks ago and feel I’m heading back there. When I was starting to come out of it and finally able to put some self care stuff in place I thought about how it is hardest to do those things when you actually need to be doing them the most.

the only thing I thought of was that sometimes I need to push myself to do those things before I start to feel better. Often feels impossible though.

sorry you are stuck with this feeling at the moment.

D x

Welcome @sbmc

Great to see you here and happy that you are reaching out.

I hear you loud and clear on this subject. I am also a sufferer of depression.... it can be really challenging and extremely draining emotionally, often to the stage where you don’t know what to do or how to lift yourself up.

I don’t profess to know everything about depression, only to say that I have walked in the shoes for decades now. 

My main coping mechanisms to this point are taking each moment of each day as it comes, seek the positive things in everything around you, love and embrace yourself for the beautiful person you are 💐, take time to breathe ( it’s very cathartic) , and most of all remember that you are a wonderful work in progress... it’s going to take time but all the positive things that you dare to believe, you WILL achieve.

Be brave @sbmc.

You have made a courageous step just by sharing some of your story.

There are so many wonderful people that can offer you support here. @Faith-and-hope @frog@outlander@Snowie@TAB@boot@Bella@Zoe7@joethelion@Zaphod@AppleBlossum just to name a few (they have  all been a fantastic support to me).

Take some time and explore the different forums... you will be amazed at the support base that you have found.

I am here to talk whenever you want 🌷

Take care x

Hi and welcome @sbmc.
The things that I find helpful are:
- scheduling and routine, and try not to compromise on the routine based on a 'feeling'
- realising that motivation is unnecessary for getting started. It typically comes later, once I've made some progress on the activity

@sbmc Welcome to the Forum. 

I too love with depression and am currently going through the 'I have no motivation' blues. And I talked about this with my case manager this week.  She suggested something like setting an alarm. (my mobile alarm)  to remind me to do a certain activity.  Eg: walk,  walk the dog,  shower,  etc. 

I haven't tried it yet but plan to next week. 

At the moment I force myself to get out of bed.  I go and sit on the couch,  or even lie on the couch.  Might not seem like much,  but it's changing the pattern from staying in bed. 

I hope you are able to find some tricks to help motivate you. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance