Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

carebear2
Casual Contributor

Hi, Trying to connect to Schizophrenia sufferers in the Riverland

Hi,

I am a Mum to my son who is almost 25 years old.  He has been suffering with this illness since March of last year.  He is on medication but it doesn't seem to work and every day, every minute of the day he has voices sreaming in his head.  He doesn't work, he is isolated from the community.  He doesn't have any friends because he says they don't understand him or his illness.  Please is there anyone in the Riverland of SA who is suffering this terrible illness that my son could talk to.  Someone who he can relate to, someone who understands his torment and hell he is living every minute of every day.  

Thank you for reading my post.  

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Hi, Trying to connect to Schizophrenia sufferers in the Riverland

My heart goes out to you. I am also a mum of a young man with a mental illness.

Heart

Sorry but we cannot breach anonymity on this forum.  On a general level you are welcome to post or join the :hot choc: thread.

Hi @carebear2,

Welcome to the forums! It is great that you have come here to seek support. As @Appleblossom mentioned as part of our guidelines, members cannot discuss specific professionals nor specific locations. The forums is an anoymous space that is public so please take care in posting identifying information.

You can try checking out the Government SA Health page here, this has details of some helplines and mental health services in your area. 

You are most welcome to discuss your experiences and feelings however, it sounds like a challenging time. We have a few parents in the carers forum here who I'm sure would be happy to help support you through this time. We also have a nice social thread where you can 'meet' other carers. 🌻

I'm so sorry to hear about how difficult it's been for you and your son @carebear2. I'm glad you decided to reach out for support on the forums and I hope you find them useful. 

I'm not sure if your son is intersted in re-engaging in work and study. If so, he might be interested in the headspace Digital Work and Study Service. They provide online, phone, and webchat support to young people living with a mental illness, with a view to connect them with study, work, or volunteering opportunities. Could be worth looking into. 

If your son would like to make some social connections with people living with a mental illness, he might also be intersted in Reachout. Oh and there's a service called eheadspace too that can support both you and your son to connect with services more locally. I hope that's useful for now @carebear2. Look after yourself amongst it all (where you can), and I wish your son all the best with his recovery. 

Hi, Ok thanks Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance