Skip to main content

Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Blue012
Contributor

Medication

I've been on my antidepressant mixed with anxiety meds. My antidepressant after 11 weeks feels like it's not working, I've just upped my dose 2 weeks ago! Please tell me it's going to work. I'm overwhelmed and defeated. I'm also feeling a little sick after 2 weeks but surely it's my anxiety hopefully! I also suffer health anxiety 

8 REPLIES 8
Lunar
Senior Contributor

Re: Medication

Hello @Blue012

Thank you for sharing, it is good you are trying to work out whether medication is helpful for you, the best thing to do like you have, is if you don't notice anything than go back and get the dose altered. Medication works very differently for everyone, some people find it really helps and some find that therapy may be more helpful for them, so keep trying to see what works for YOU.

It is good you are reaching out on the forums for some support, support is very helpful. Are you getting any other support than your GP or is it a Psychiatrist?

Lunar

Thanks lunar,

Yes I have a psychiatrist and have just started with a psychologist.

I'm trying so hard it just feels sometimes nothing works and it's so tiring!

Same here Blue I’ve been given anti anxiety meds and had my anti depressants increased and so far I don’t feel any different or better. Going back to my dr in a few days to check what’s going on. 

I have felt a small improvement after my last post after increasing dose after 2 weeks! I'm so confused as to if I was holding myself back with fear of increasing when I should have just done it! I've had a few side effects and having health anxiety doesn't help.

Hope you go ok, how long have you been on yours?

Hi Blue

i totally understand your feelings - when my doctor wanted to increase my dose years ago I was like what? No thanks! I don’t even like the fact that I have to take my regular amount! So I was very opposed to an increase.

my current medication I’ve been on for 13 years. Before that the medication I had was okay but this one is better. So it could be a case of not the wrong dose but that a different medication could suit you better. Everyone is different what works for one person doesn’t work for the other. I have a friend on an extremely low dose of A medication and he finds it really helpful. I know someone else who was prescribed the same and it made them

feel sick. My advice is if you feel that yr medication isn’t helping or working at all talk to your dr about it, there may be something out there that suits you better that you just aren’t aware of yet 🙂

Thanks Dgoldman 

I guess my main concern is I have health anxiety so I'm worried about trying new meds and last time I had a reaction to one and it caused panic! I'm sure I bought it on half by expecting it.

It's so complicated! Wish i could just get it right or my psych could

Thanks Dgoldman 

I guess my main concern is I have health anxiety so I'm worried about trying new meds and last time I had a reaction to one and it caused panic! I'm sure I bought it on half by expecting it.

It's so complicated! Wish i could just get it right or my psych could. My new slight higher dose appears slightly better after 3 weeks but 12 weeks all up... fingers crossed

utopia
Senior Contributor

@Blue012

About 14 months ago,  my then psychiatrist took me off my anti depressants that worked but just needed raising slightly. 

New psychiatrist 13 months ago and many medications later - we have just found the right combination of anti depressant and mood stabiliser.

Today my SI and depression have gone - vanished. I feel like a new person.  I wouldn't have thought it would have been possible to feel like this only 2 weeks ago. I still have a very dry mouth - but that should ease up in the next week or two & a very slight tremble in one hand.  Which we will keep an eye on.

So please don't give up. Persistence will pay off in the end.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance