Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Canttakeanymore
New Contributor

A year of disasters has led to severe depression

I’m not real good at asking for help, but I have no one to turn to, I’m 40yo have a good career, a beautiful wife and two most of time great kids, 2018 has been unfortunately one disaster after another, starting with my wife and I losing a pregnancy, quickly followed by our daughter running away, when she came home I was asked to find out what she’d done while she’s been away as she wasn’t forthcoming about it, upon discovering what she’d done, I had a heart attack, several weeks later after I recovered I was mugged walking home from a party and assaulted, shortly after my vehicle and business were vandalized badly and more recently discovered my daughter to be sexually active with less than respectable people, I spiralled into depression at this point as I literally could not handle anything else, I have become withdrawn, angry at the world and most of time do not want to be on this rechid dirtball anymore, my anniversary just passed which was a disaster as well, so now I stand on the precipice of losing wife and children unless I can some way to dig myself out, my wife asked me what would make me happy, I had to answer “I don’t know” as I feel appethetic about everything and extract no joy from life at all, I have seen doctors and they just keep trying to shove pills down my throat, if anyone here can help.......please I’m desperate

9 REPLIES 9

Re: A year of disasters has led to severe depression

Hi @Canttakeanymore,

it sounds like a really awful year for you. I don’t know that I can help, I’m just someone who had her life turned upside down too. I think that maybe it isn’t a case of 'making you feel happy'. It’s a pretty daunting thing for anyone to identify what would make them happy at the best of times let alone without a series of unfortunate and very stressful events that have pushed you to your limits. 

A couple of things came to mind reading your post. One is our kids can challenge us in ways we never thought possible. I’ve known kids to go through some things similar to what you’ve talked about but they’ve come out the otherside and have gone on to have successful careers and lives. Having said that I have a child (you g adult now) who has been off the rails and it creates so many mixed emotions. I’m not sure if you’ve tried talking to a psychologist but maybe if you found the right one for you it would help. Just this week I finally talked to someone about an issue I’d been keeping inside for too long regarding one of mine. It helped heaps to talk about it with my counsellor. Life didn’t become a bed of roses but is a little more manageable. 

Im really sorry things have come to this point for you. I really hope you can find something that helps. Best wishes. 

@Canttakeanymore Hi Canttakeanymore I am sorry we are not 'meeting' under better circumstances. I was a wild child in my early teens to early adult hood so much so my mother was going to put me in a girls home (her own words). There were many reasons why which I wont go into here but the thing is that now my mother and I (my father died long ago) have a good relationship and I turned out ok (even though I do say so myself).

Don't give up on your daughter. Growing up is hard just be there for her regardless. 

I am so sorry to hear that you lost your pregnancy that again is something that I know only too well and appreciate how much of a blow it is to a couple.

I am sorry you were mugged and your car and business were vandalized how horrific for you. 

I can see however the majority of the pain comes from your daughter. Again have faith that she will turn out fine just don't give up on her.

Are you seeing a psychologist? I think you should be as well as a psychiatrist. Stick with the medications they can take months to work effectively.

If you want to just have a talk I and many others are here. There are many threads here just have a look around. One of my favourite is the 'Worry Room'. Where you can just let it all out and walk away....

Take care Canttakeanymore

Love greenpea 

Hi @Canttakeanymore

Welcome to the forum 💐

I cannot imagine what it’s been like for you because that would be a lie.

I am so proud of you for reaching out to us.

Firstly, I want you to know that you are safe and supported here.

I have been reading your post and I want to help you wherever I can.

I am not an expert but I do know when someone is in pain. 

You are definitely a strong person or else you wouldn’t be here 💐

Thete are so many beautiful people here to give all the support you need.

I personally have found this place to be somewhere I can turn to when everything feels like it is out of control. 

You WILL get through this. Have faith my friend because you are not alone... I am here whenever you need me x

Hi @greenpea

Your kind words always bring hope and for that I am truly thankful.
Thank you my friend for reaching out x
@Canttakeanymore

Keep being strong 💐

I can feel that you already have it... just trust and believe in yourself.

We are all here x

Hi @Scarecrowe

We haven’t met before but I welcome you 👍

I am not sure how long you have been on the forum but I am truly happy to get to know more about you 💐

Have a happy Sunday 😊

catch you in the posts

Hi @Nay69.  Nice to meet you too!!!

I signed up about 4-6 weeks ago roughly but have only been online a few times over that period.  So really still a newbie so to speak lol!!!

That’s okay @Scarecrow

You are truly safe here.

I am here whenever you want to talk💐

Hi @Canttakeanymore,

Hope you're still around and that the last couple days things are getting better for you.

I am sure we can help by providing people to talk to.

It's  no surprise to me that after the year you've had,  that you now have depression @Canttakeanymore. That is a lot of stress to undergo. 

I really think the best option would be talking with a psychologist.  Talk therapy and learning techniques to reduce your responses to your stressed.  Yes,  medication can help with depression,  but if you are adamant that you don't want to go down that line,  then please do see a psychologist.  It may not seem like it at first,  but talking with a qualified therapist really does help.  It's helped me. 

I hope things start improving for you quickly. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance