Skip to main content

Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: All over again

Enduring abuse is not equivalent to resilience. 

Sometimes we don't see it in ourselves.  

What you getting up to today?  I'm going to get a little bit of exercise soon.  Making the most of the pleasant weather.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Cool. 

Former-Member
Not applicable

I'll be doing a whole lot of squat as per usual. Anyways, this is getting nowhere as per the usual, so goodbye. 

Former-Member
Not applicable

I just want to say that whilst I was out of line and it is my job to take responsibility for that, in my opinion it is never OK to speak for someone else and the state their trauma has left them in or to project their perception of a survivor on to them, whether they mean well or not.  I don’t think that others can describe the impact of anything I have endured, as that is undermining to me and makes me feel like I am a fool. Thus, I do not agree with the statement that "sometimes we don't see it in ourselves".

I don't think others can compare their suffering to mine and project their wishes onto me. In my opinion, others should not communicate in such a way wherein it is portrayed that the impact of one’s trauma is less than for any reason whatsoever.

It is not anyone’s place to conceptualise or communicate about me or my trauma in any manner. Especially if they were not there, they did not go through it. Members of the forums only know what I choose to divulge about myself. They don't have my life and they don't exist in my life. They are not me, so they don't have any place to make any judgements about me or my life, whether it be good, bad or otherwise.

I am the only one who can do that, and it is up to me to decide what resilience is and isn't for myself. It is my job to identify it, and it is only genuine if I do it myself.

I believe just because I have endured what I have it does not make me some poster child for child abuse survivors and recovery. It doesn't mean anything other than I am a child abuse survivor.

I am not excusing my out of line statements, but I am making it clear that I do not agree with many of your statements above. No-one here is wearing my shoes and I didn't give permission for them to steal my shoes and try and fit them on their own feet. I do not want others to comment on what characteristics they perceive me to have, and I never will because determining and affirming those is my job.

I didn't come here for sympathy or emotional support, or to be asked how my day is and what I'm doing. I came to try and find people who can provide me with actual answers or ways to deal with the problems in my original post. 

I respect that many members interact in this manner, but I would appreciate this type of interaction being avoided in my case. 

Hey,

I hope everyone is going okay tonight. It can be a challenging thing trying to support each other, and this can be especially hard online. Sometimes if we are not supported in the way we hoped it can bring up intense distress. @Former-Member I notice you have clarified more what you are looking for on the forums and that can be helpful in communicating with other members.

Thanks for expressing yourself so respectfully. Just a reminder to everyone to please be gentle with each other. And remember that as much as forums are really helpful most of the time, sometimes they can be hard and it's important to look after yourselves. The self-care and addressing conflict part of the guidelines might be helpful for this.

Take care,

Tortoiseshell

Former-Member
Not applicable

More like none of the time. 

@Tortoiseshell wrote:

Hey,

I hope everyone is going okay tonight. It can be a challenging thing trying to support each other, and this can be especially hard online. Sometimes if we are not supported in the way we hoped it can bring up intense distress. @Former-Member I notice you have clarified more what you are looking for on the forums and that can be helpful in communicating with other members.

Thanks for expressing yourself so respectfully. Just a reminder to everyone to please be gentle with each other. And remember that as much as forums are really helpful most of the time, sometimes they can be hard and it's important to look after yourselves. The self-care and addressing conflict part of the guidelines might be helpful for this.

Take care,

Tortoiseshell

Former-Member
Not applicable

You know what, I am over this place. I've been waiting almost a day and a half to have emails responded to regarding this topic, I am over having to censor myself for you and being treated like a fool. Please delete my account so I don't have to put up with the nonsense anymore. 

Hey @Former-Member,

Sorry to hear things have felt so hard around the forums recently. Community Managers are often super quick getting back to people via email, but sometimes it does take time. Please continue to communicate via the team@saneforums.org email around closing your account.

I know it can be hard if you've decided on a course of action to have to wait, so please take care of yourself while you wait for a response. 

Warm regards,

Tortoiseshell 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance