Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Our stories

Re: Dealing with intrusive thoughts - my struggle!

distractions seems to work for me @saturnzoon , so I guess that's what you are doing watching shows. Others on here have mentioned mindfulness and other things but I dont know about them

Hey all πŸ™‚

Great to hear you had an enjoyable walk this morning @Molliex. Those flowers 😍❀

Hiya @saturnzoon. I've found it helpful to do things like crochet. There's lots of repetition, counting, focusing etc, plus the general joy of making something. It distracts and makes me think of little more than what's in front of me. Sometimes when my heads gets wonky I feel the need to move and burn it off so I'll do something physical - things like riding my bike, walking, gardening etc. A tricky time for me is late at night and early morning when it's probably not the best time to start digging up the garden πŸ˜‰ During times like that I try and ride it out with soothing, comforting stuff and remind myself it will pass. I have cats and a big fluffy blanket that I wrap myself in when that happens. It's great you have found something that helps a little. It can be really tough ❀

@saturnzoon  I've noticed with myself . That i quite often have the right thoughts in amongst all the other thoughts . I just need to pluck it out of the madness . Easier said then done though. Because often anxiety or depression takes ahold quickly due to all the intrusive thoughts (in my case racing thoughts / unpleasant or pleasant thoughts) i literally need to back track to my first thought or urge and act on it. Quite often that's my escape. However often my thoughts get out of control and go on a tangent and i end up reaching out (which is futile ) . It goes from extreme anxiety when thinking about doing something or taking action to extreme depression when doing nothing . Like they say 'first things first 😁' i need to allow myself to take it easy and rest, and also see the que when It is TIME to stop' you could even say that different types of medication (substances) will either inhibit action and anxiety or rest and depression . Gotta find the balance .... my big problem is picking up on signals that it's time to stop and rest because I've pushed myself to far . And then engaging again with action .

I hear you @saturnzoon Distraction helps. Exercise is probably the thing that helps me the most, and as someone who has never liked the gym, that really surprised me. It's truly the only time my brain shuts up. 

I'm working on the mindfulness stuff, with mixed results. 

I have a long way to go, I'm hoping the right meds can make some difference. 

Hey @saturnzoon
Have you seen The Orville?
It's a Sci fi comedy. But with serious elements in it. Made by Seth Macfarlane who made Family Guy and American Dad.
It's quite a clever show I think you'd like it because of the Sci fi element.

Also I'm not too sure on other coping strategies that work. Each person is different. I have gone through periods where I have distracted myself and sometimes for long periods of time. Especially during my unemployment days.
It works rather well.
What detective shows do you like?

Hi @saturnzoon @Molliex and others here. The thing I do most often that works for me with intrusive and circling thoughts is slow down my breathing and count it - in to 4 and out to 4.  Then I'm able to slow it down and have space to do some sort of activity, like others have suggested.  Art, craft, telly, iview and recently netflix stuff, cooking, occasionally get on the exercise bike, gardening, listening to music, coming on the forums .....  Another thing I do is write out what the thoughts are and kind of answer each one, it helps me respond more rationally and have plans to deal with all the what ifs that come up.  I really had to use the breathing today during my OT and driving assessment, so have put it to the test again and it really helped.

Meditation doesn't work for me either @saturnzoon I also have some shows I watch to try to distract me - think the DVDs are just about worn out by now! 

Medication has also helped - especially at night when it is usually worse. Hugging my fur babies and surprisingly housework also help. Doing something and not runimating on those thoughts can get me out of that space but sometimes that is hard when they come on quickly and/or are triggered unexpectedly. Those are the times I need to breath (as funny as that sounds) but controlled breathing can help lower the heart rate and reduce a little of the tension that comes with the intrusive thoughts.

Distraction really is the biggest key for me and I find doing something with my hands - washing up, painting, patting Toby, squeezing a stress ball, sorting shelves or cupboards, general cleaning up all help a little.

Thanks for the tips @eth. I've been writing some of my ruminations down on these CBT thought process sheets that I've been working on with my psychologist. It will take practice, but I think it will help more in time. @saturnzoon 

Good tips @Zoe7. What kind of fur babies do you have? 

A cat and a dog @Molliex Toby (dog) is my little shadow so he is never far away from me. Cat pretty much does her own thing but I get the ocassional cuddle from her ...mainly when she wants food lol Do you have any fur babies?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance