Skip to main content

Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

perspective
Senior Contributor

Episode

Hi there 

I’ve been on antipsychotics for decades. Does anyone think they can still become psychotic on medication? I am completely medication compliant 

6 REPLIES 6
greenpea
Senior Contributor

Re: Episode

@perspective  Hi perspective and yes I believe so. I find that I have episodes where I can feel the mania/madness is bubbling up underneath the surface but the medications keep a thin veneer over it.  Without the meds I would go full on crazy again .... so yes I believe that it is possible to have a psychotic episode even with meds. greenpea

I’m kind of non functioning at the moment. Last year I think I was off the planet- high functioning, but bananas. My brain really won’t work at that level for too long. Lots of stress in the preceding years added to it. This year it’s like wading thru jam sometimes I think I’m just being slack and I’m hard on myself. It’s more than that tho I feel like my brain has said no

@perspective  Have you got a trusted psychiatrist? Maybe your meds need adjustment? I would be going back and having the meds looked at. 

I'm medication compliant @perspective but treatment resistant, meaning despite meds, I can still get unwell. I've been in and out of hospital like a revolving door despite high doses of antipsychotics.

Yes I have a psychiatrist. I up my meds but from time to time but I’m very capable of going into my psychs office and being full blown and still being able to rationalise all my feelings.  It’s hard to describe and thing is I can go for years without symptoms 

That is so unfair but I’ve found like I’m 53 and I reckon my hormones have had a bad effect on me too. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance