Skip to main content

Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

MileaP45
Casual Contributor

Feeling lost

Hi all

well I was on here a couple yrs ago but circumstances came up & I had to go.

So I’m now 47, have multiple medical problems (PCOS, PTSD, Anxiety, Depression, Barrett’s Disease, G.A.V.E), my latest battle was having surgery in November 2016, with the surgeon operating on me (bottom surgery) , operating for the wrong thing. So then my own surgeon (was not in the country November 2016) had to rectify. In 23mths I have had 3 major bottom surgeries, up to procedure 14 & still have more to go. I have an open wound, so unable to sit, I have to lean, have packed on like 30+kg, am not allowed to walk far, do much etc.

Sooo I have an alcohol problem! It is very unusual of me to go a day without alcohol & that mostly can be 2 bottles of white wine per day. I still function, am a mother, daughter to 2 parents with medical problems of their own, plus I work part time & help others as much as I can!

I need to slow down on my drinking! I have been on medication to help but that did nothing for me. Have been to drug & alcohol counseling but there is somebody working there that I know personally & I don’t want them seeing me. I need to be able to do this on my own......mind you it doesn’t help with a husband who drinks 6 beers & a couple bourbons most nights! I’m struggling to be positive in my own life while spending all my energy looking great for everybody in my life....I need help! Sorry for long post & thanks for any response 🙂 xo

1 REPLY 1
Ochre
Senior Contributor

Re: Feeling lost

Hi @MileaP45

Thanks for sharing what's happening for you there. It sounds like there's been some real challenges around your health. And it's great to hear that you have an awareness that drinking is something you'd like support around.

You might consider looking at counselling/groups at another service if you feel uncomfortable in knowing someone at the service you've recently been to.

It's okay to need support and to be able to access a service that feels comfortable for you. That can be a really vital element in moving through those habits and into recovery.

I'm keen to know if other forum users have any thoughts around their own experiences.

Ochre.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance