Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: My son (24) has schizophrenia

Dear one.

Hang in there. One moment at a time. It is healthy to grieve but always maintain hope. Pick even one small  happening that is good. I for days would just long to see my son smile or laugh. And then, when he does after days of bleakness, it brings hope. I try to dwell on those moments becoming more frequent. I look back to a year ago. Thank God. This year, Christmas was with my son, at home. Not in hospital.

Two steps forward, one back is often the way. Acknowledge and grieve the losses, but try to dwell on anything positive.

Hope. A little word with unlimited potential. I have been researching the impact of probiotics and vitamin B supplements etc. There is a lot of research now about the gut and psychology connection. Certainly improved my health and my son is improving very steadily. He continues with his medications, as well as probiotics and quality vitamins and food.

Keep up your courage.

Barbara - my heart goes out to you. My son is 25 and a diagnosed schizophrenic.

The first time he was admitted to hospital thru the ED at 20. I won't relay the horror story that is our journey - I will say that the sooner your son receives hospital treatment, the better. For him. He won't be happy, initially, but you will be surprised when he eventually agrees it was necessary for his safety and well being.

Best wishes to you both.

Hi my son is 25 and has schizophrenia , I know how you feel , really truly.my son was diagnosed with early psychosis at 18 had it revised to schizophrenia at 21 . 

We read a book called “in not sick and I don’t need help “ it’s by an american psychiatrist who was also a brother so he had the family perspective. 

I believe that getting a better chemical balance is essential . 

Do you know that a patient has to fail with two different medications before the psychiatrists will offer the medication that does actually work in our case it’s chlozapine and it made a huge beyond words huge difference. We had to section our son on several occasions the last time was after he’d committed a crime of impulsivity . Our son took his meds every single day even when he was so crazy and awake for days , we are lucky but for 5 years he was on a pitiful small amount of a drug that had almost no effect and he got worse. From 18 to22 and I cried everyday sometimes all day . I had to keep looking for better drugs as he would have been in jail or dead otherwise. I had some help from an independent mental health nurse practitioner but you need help from people with more experience , I know psych wards and hospitals can be pretty useless but you need to learn the terminology to describe what’s going on and you need to demand help (in a calm way) as mothers and families we are their only hope so don’t give up . Things can get better and we can help each other .

My son is now taking cbd oil as well as other supplements and his chlozapine and  only four months after taking the oil ( only cbd zero thc )he was able to give up his pack a day nicotine addiction  , it is expensive but he said he felt more settled and calmer , and we noticed an increased concentration span and more energy . We are still experimenting and I’m interested in nutrients and vitamins as well but’s it’s all very tricky.

@ME22 Hi, I would like to know how you manage to get cbd oil. I wold like to try on my son ho was in hospital for 6weeks recently and is on monthly medication. This is his second hospitalisation. He had first episode three years ago and diagnosed schizophrenia. He does not insight and still delusional. He seems to changes his moods very quickly. I don’t know what to do any more...

@ME22 wrote:

My son is now taking cbd oil as well as other supplements and his chlozapine and  only four months after taking the oil ( only cbd zero thc )he was able to give up his pack a day nicotine addiction  , it is expensive but he said he felt more settled and calmer , and we noticed an increased concentration span and more energy . We are still experimenting and I’m interested in nutrients and vitamins as well but’s it’s all very tricky.

I have asked about cbd oil but no-one will discuss with me. My eldest boy lives in the US and uses it for treatment of PTSD. Where do you get it?

Please.

I forced my son into hospital he went of his meds and wouldn't go back on them. He went to a neighbours house and scarred a young woman my standing at the door staring at her. I had to do something, he was angry at first and the hospital frightened him enough that he hasn't gone of his meds again. He understands why i had to do it. He can at least function on a more normal level. So don't feel so bad if you need to force him there he will get help to feel much better and so will you. 

Hi, @ME22

I found your story interesting.  “A patient has to fail two different medications before psychiatrist can offer that actually does work”    My son is not getting better at all with his fortnightly injection.  This is his second hospitalisation and he was there for 5weeks and just this week he got taken back to hospital as case manager decided from my concern even I asked him not to do that.... so this is going to be third hospitalisation.  They said they will increase the dosage next one. But I’m no sure that would help.  He was in delusion all the time last week and started peering skin where he believes the device is implanted....

i got oil to try but before it arrive, he got taken to hospital... I was searching any interaction of those supplement oil and antipsychotic medication.  How is your son going?  Is he still taking same medication which you thought working much better?  I really appreciate if you can help me with your experience with your son. 

Hello @ME22 , @AMC6 , @Aria , @Barbara , @Janey 

been thinking of you lots today , love to hear from you , hope you are ok Heart

@Ali11 

cat cuddles.jpg

flowers.jpeg

I feel like i wrote this myself. I have the very same experience.  The pain is undescribable its excruciating  i know. And you know what? If u ask for help or google for help, first thing you see is 'donate now'. No one can really understand what us parents go through and people just go on with their lives and never seem to bother. 

My son gained 80kls fr meds. He has very limited mobility so they're guinea pigs and they cop all the side effects and we cop the heartbreaks. 

Stay strong and try to look after yourself first so u can continue to look after him.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance