Skip to main content

Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Anonymous55
New Contributor

My story

Hey,

So last year I was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, and spent 6months learning how to deal and live with it. I also have a history of PTSD, and depression.

I was doing really well in therapy, (my therapist was convinced i dont have bpd). About april this year i was clinically stable and discharged from my therapist.. only to find out i was 6weeks pregnant.  Ive done so well in maintaining my stability until the past couple weeks.. im now 26weeks pregnant 😮 and have started struggling. I saw my gp and referred me back to the therapist couple weeks ago only to find out yesterday that they couldn't find the referral 😕 received a phone call today saying she's leaving in November and I'd have to either wait for a new therapist or travel 110km one way to see another therapist. We live rural and almost a days drive from any family, so it's definitely been a struggle. Im determined to ace this pregnancy thing and start the new chapter of our lives next year, but it's definitely hard and im struggling.. 

3 REPLIES 3
Razzle
Senior Contributor

Re: My story

@Anonymous55  Firstly can I say congratulations on the impending arrival, how exciting for you 😀😀.  My youngest (of 3) is 19 years old so it has been a while since there have been tiny babies in my house, having said that he and his girl friend are expecting a baby in April next year.

I have no insight into bpd but my councillor is sure I have ptsd.  I had kept a lid on my child sexual abuse for 40 years, but since the death of my father last year my past has bubbled to the surface and it has been quite the struggle since.  (My father was not my abuser)

Having to travel to therapy is a pain, my councillor is only in my local town (200km round trip)  once a week and is usually pretty booked up so I have to travel to his home town most of the time (540km round trip)

I’m sorry to hear you have been messed around with your referral, not something you need right now.

Please look after yourself and your precious cargo, and welcome to the forums 🙂🙂.

Eucalypt
Senior Contributor

Hi there @Anonymous55.
I can see that you have a nice welcome from @Razzle and I thought I'd chime in and say hi. It sounds as though you have been experiencing some big changes in your life over the last year or so, even before your pregnancy. Pregnancy can introduce a whole new lot of complexity and uncertainty in to our lives so I am glad that you're reaching out for a bit more support for your mental health.

It sounds as though you found therapy really useful and it is great that you are trying to organise a new therapist for yourself. If you struggle to find someone appropriate in your town I wonder if you might access treatment through the Telehealth initiative which helps people in rural and regional areas to access healthcare through video conferencing and technologically assisted appointments. Your gp will know if it is available to people in your area.

As a bit of a back-up, I wonder if you have heard of PANDA?
PANDA  (Perinatal Anxiety & Depression Australia) supports women, men and families across Australia affected by anxiety and depression during pregnancy and in the first year of parenthood.
https://www.panda.org.au/

PANDA National Helpline (Mon to Fri, 9am - 7.30pm AEST) Call 1300 726 306

Please disregard the suggestions above if they're not right for you.
Again, welcome to the forum and I wish you all the best with your pregnancy and this new chapter.
s-jay
Senior Contributor

Hey there @Anonymous55, how did you go finding a new counsellor? Did you end up chatting to PANDA (Perinatal Anxiety & Depression Australia) at all? They are actually coming on the forums tonight so I wanted to invite you along to have a chat with them here. They'll be here on the forums to talk about being pregnant or a new parent and some of the struggles you have described here. We'd love to have you along - just head over to this thread at 7pm AEDT tonight. Hope to see you..

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance