Skip to main content

Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

On my mind today

On my mind today.

How much does menopause or peri menopause affect the intensity of your emotions? My therapist thinks once I go through menopause it will be much easier. I don't know. I know it doesn't take much to change my mood. I was much worse a few years ago with not coping with emotional intensity and reactivity. But today I just wondered if my emotion intensity and therefore regulation will go down a notch once I go through menopause. Your thoughts???

28 REPLIES 28

Re: On my mind today

Hi @Former-Member I tend to agree with your therapist, but there are always exceptions ...

There are a host of reasons why life after menopause may be more stable and settled. Accrued economic stability and wisdom and experience in social group and weeding out enemiues and staying close to friends etc ... not just hormonal issues.

then .. I was coasting along feeling not too bad .. a few years ago ... when wham .. so .. take it alll with a grain of salt .. but dont despair Smiley Happy

Former-Member
Not applicable

Thanks @Appleblossom. Did you find your emotional intensity was any less with the smaller triggers or stress situations? I don't really believe that it's possible to change that much from my hormones because most of it feels like it's in my head. The thing is I wasn't quite like this 5 years ago either. I actually spent way more time in ok and cruising. Everything intensified out of control from that. I probably still had mild to medium depression and anxiety. 

I haven't got back to you on the other thread from yesterday but I haven't forgotten. Lack of sleep and strange mood and I'm not much good on here today. Sticking to posts that are not too brain taxing and living in my own head today grrrr!

Maybe its a little like the inspirational sayings suggest .. life takes all of us ... we give it our all .. and even if we are older and wiser .. we still feel a lot .. maybe we have taken more on .. or taken a bigger knock.. without clear diagnostic tools to measure it .. or maybe our "feeling sensibilties" are our tools ???

Trying to keep it short & simple.

Heart @Former-Member

Former-Member
Not applicable

😘💜just what I need right now @Appleblossom. Short and simple. Have no idea how I'll study on these days. It's taken me 3hrs to clean the kitchen 😳:face_with_rolling_eyes: which wasn't that bad.

Good to hear you say that @Former-Member .... it has taken me three hours to clean a not-that-bad-kitchen sometimes ..... it just sometimes does .....

Short and simple ❣

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Former-Member, missed ya. Hormones play a huge part in our mental stability and thought processes. A Biochemist or Naturopath or Medical Nutritional medicine gp can recommend compound creams. Or KELP is very good for regulations hormones.
What I would advise all women is to be proactive at this time of life, self care and minimal stressors, @Appleblossom made some sound pointa. Basically, again, keep the stress down (internal & ext)/ Having the stability of 'home' after losing my girl in the middle of change was so huge I stopped then, just like that. But if I had to move house etc gosh. Anyway, get into the vegies & walks Teej & meditation, Big hugz
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Former-Member

How did peri-menopause or menopause effect the intensity of my emotions? Greatly. All women are different though. Some have no symptoms, some mild and of short duration - for others it can be debilitating emotionally and physically. I was in the latter category and after trying everything natural and anti-ds decided to go on Hormone replacement. I am still on the latter and my anxiety and depression improved greatly.

Anxiety and depression can be part of it for some and this period of some women's lives is extremely difficult - with some landing up in hospital. I found coping with life/stressors became much harder and I also found it brought to the fore unresolved repressed past hurts that demanded me to deal with them. It was very difficult and I couldnt stop crying (a common symptom). I am in the small minority where I need hormone replacement for many years. But for most it does pass without too many complications at all. All are different.

Like @Appleblossom saids we can come out of this phase of life stronger, wiser and feeling more gratitude for the small things, for life. That was the case for me. And life circumstances does play a part in how we get through this time. It's possible that your emotional intensity and regulation could go down a notch, but no one can predict that as all women are different. If concerned your GP can conduct blood tests that will keep tabs on your hormone fluctuations and if you find your moods go up and down with it you will know.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Thanks @Former-Member, @Former-Member

@Former-Member my GP knows that things are much worse at the wrong time of the month for me but won't look into anything while I'm still regular without any other signs of menopause. Most of my hospital admissions coincide with PMS. Last time I was admitted to hospital the mental health nurse said she would tee up a gynaecologist appointment but it never happened. When I wrote that post I was a week overdue and bursting at the seems. I've calmed since then. Most of my stuff aligns with PMS still. It's often the only time I cry. I struggle to cry most of the time. I know my mum was on hrt for years as well. It was a life saver for her. I'll just have to play the game and see what happens. 😬:face_with_rolling_eyes:Thanks for your response  💜🤗

Include tofu, miso soup and edamame (Japanese soy beans) in your diet @Former-Member ..... and see if that helps, along with soy sauce.  Few Japanese women suffer menupausal symptoms at all.

💗

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance