Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: The Fear of Dying Alone

The only stuff out there for guys like myself are articles that emphasise pick up culture.

I am not interested in that. I want to be able to develop meaningful relationships but I feel there was a memo that went out to every woman on the planet saying that I can't have a relationship

I am so alone right now

I’m also trying to change therapists and I have no idea what the hell I’m doing. I don’t know who I want. 

I really need help

Both of those books mentioned earlier are recommended for men who are struggling to connect with women or not getting past first date stages. That Menergy group ae supposed to be quite good in that regard, there are a few men that have been to their events and have come away with a noticeably improved sense of confidence, especially in regards to making friends or meeting potential love interests. You're right about a lot of the books in that field being geared towards pick-up culture though, that's why that comment from Neil Strauss stuck out, where he said that of all the things he learned in that scene, the biggest lesson of all was to learn to love himself because then he could effectively communicate who he was and what gave him value. There are no quick fixes in that area though, unfortunately it all takes time Smiley Sad Sorry to hear you're not having a good weekend. Did you do anything for yourself this weekend? What are things you enjoy, forgetting anyone else, just things you like to do alone that bring you joy? Have you got any music you're working on at the moment?

What is it that you'd like from a therapist @TheRenegade345? Are you looking for someone to listen to you, to guide you, or to focus purely on helping you improve your social skills? Have you read The Body Language Of Love by Barbara and Allan Pease? Or Social Intelligence by Daniel Goleman? The last one looks really good, it's on the list right now 

@Ali11 

I emailed the Menergy people so hopefully they get back to me soon. I am aware there are no quick fixes in this area. My problem has been that, in the past, I have dealt with some pretty self-absorbed and vapid MHP who weren't prepared to help me deal with some of this stuff. I really appreciate your efforts though @Ali11 because your suggestion of the Menergy group is exactly what I have been looking for. I just wish my other therapists would have obliged me sooner.

I played some video games and I am getting into a new band called Bad Religion, a punk band. They write a lot of songs about politics and the like which is really refreshing from the garbage you hear on the radio these days.

I am looking for a therapist who can help me on, and not limited to, three things.

- Body Image

- Exposure Therapy

- To help improve my relationships with women and my social skills in general.

The last one for me is ironic because a lot of my friends are women... yet I can't fix the gaping hole in my heart for something more...

That's great @TheRenegade345, happy to hear you've emailed them. From all accounts they're a really helpful group so hopefully it leads to a few resources and new friends for you Smiley Happy

Bad Religion are supposed to be quite good, they've been around a long time haven't they?

From what's been said about Menergy, they may be able to recommend someone who can help with those three goals

How are you doing @TheRenegade345? Did the Menergy people get back to you? Hope you got some guitar time over the weekend Smiley Happy 

Hey @Ali11 

Sorry I haven’t been able to reply as I have been down with glandular fever and I keep forgetting to reply. Menergy haven’t replied and it has been a week. I’m pretty disappointed with them to be honest. 

Bad Religion have been around for like almost 40 years now. They sing a lot about politics, economic, social and environmental issues which matters to me a lot. 

I am in in the middle of writing a song at the moment. 

Sorry to hear about your glandular fever, make sure you get that rest!

We understand that you may be a little disappointed, however, sometimes non-profits such as Menergy run on volunteers or minimal staff so it may take a little longer than usual to reply back. I noticed that they do have a Facebook page that you may wish to message if you want to follow it up. 

Songwriting is an incredible skill, are you happy to share what your song is about with us? 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance