Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

LostAngel
Senior Contributor

anxiety and travel especially after covid has changed things

hi forum friends Im a bit keyed up about an upcoming trip to see family,as most things I tend to get anxcious prior to going on a long trip but once Im travelling Ill have to keep calm as Ill be the one whos driving,really do need a holiday though ,staying for a week but im ancious about not forgetting anything and the work it takes to pack ect and getting there while staying calm as the driver as this is only the second time Ive driven so far Im trying hard to remember everything Ill need to bring with me and how to get there ect directions,also therell be a few detours on the roads so that makes me a bit nervous,looking forward to seeing family though that I havent seen for quite a few months,it should be a fun trip just the getting there and getting home driving is a bit scary,once I get there if theres time before dinner I may have a sleep as soon as I arrive,Ill try to take my time getting there but do feel keyed up but maybe some of it is excitement too. any advice for dealing with anxious thoughts while travelling? especially when your needing to rely on your own transport to get somewhere? its been quite a while since the last long trip,honestly dont know how I managed to travel there and back last time Ive kind of written off that trip as a first time fluke in terms of how it worked out ,on that trip I had to keep my nerves under control despite feeling anxcious and really took my time getting there ,stopping quite a lot on the way,probly stopping more frequently than most do at travelling that distance by car.

13 REPLIES 13

Re: anxiety and travel especially after covid has changed things

Hi @LostAngel 

It can be really difficult when we experience anxiety around and during travelling. I know I definitely experience it too. Something that helps me is making a list of what i need to pack a ticking it off as I go. It eases the anxiety a bit. I also think stopping every so often on the way would be a good idea, just to get some fresh air and walk around a bit.

I'm wondering, do the other peer support workers have any tips? @TideisTurning @Former-Member 

Hope that helps,

Rosie93 Heart

@LostAngel 

Well done for being proactive and preparing to manage the anxiety related to this trip. It sounds like you are looking forward to seeing your family again, so thinking about this positive emotion could help. So thinking about your plans to do with your family - what you might do together, things you want to share with them or give them (not necessarily gifts costing money) could help increase this positive emotion.

Accept that you will probably forget something and will be still be ok. Even essentials could be borrowed or purchased in your new location if necessary, though I understand you would want to avoid that. Perhaps make a list of things that you really need like medications, phone charger, etc and other things you don't want to forget. Then you are not relying as much on remembering at the last minute.

Think about what might help you have a calm drive

- music, talking books or podcasts to listen to

- cooler bag of favourite drinks and snacks (unless you prefer to purchase on the way). Freezing some bottles of water could be useful.

- sunnies and anything else that makes you more comfortable.

- phone numbers of friends, family or support lines you could call for a chat if you are feeling anxious.

- stop for a short walk, play a mindfulness meditation or whatever helps soothe you

- mask, hand sanitiser to minimise risks when stopping along the way

- bag with essentials you need for arrival on first night - so you don't need to stress about finding where you packed your medication, PJs, pillow, book, or whatever you need.

Best of luck and enjoy your holiday.

Thanks for the tag @Rosie93, and I'll second the idea of making a list ahead of time. I do this every single time I travel! I spend quite a bit of time with pen & paper to help make sure I think of everything I'll need.

@LostAngel  I don't drive myself so unfortunately don't have the experience to offer suggestions on managing anxiety while driving.

Regarding everything else, though- is there anyone who can help you prepare for the holiday? The last time I travelled, who I was travelling with- their anxiety was eased quite a lot, because I'm the type of person to think of anything and everything in advance- is there anyone like that in your own life who you could maybe ask a bit of help from? It might ease anxiety knowing there's a team of people preparing for the trip? (I'm assuming you've been planning for this by yourself so far?)

thank you for the advice and suggestionsSmiley Happy Ill give a more detailed response after dinnerHeart 

Hey @LostAngel  Yes I am the same when a long drive is on the card. I always make a list of what I'll need and generally pack my own food to avoid having to stop and buy roadside food. Especially with COVID and it's more relaxing just pulling into a roadside rest stop to have a bite to eat and a cuppa. It's also good for the spirit to step out of your comfort zone and see it as an adventure. Water healthy snacks and good music for the journey and after a while you're in the zone of travelling and it's all good. Try not to think about it and just be present and open to the journey as it takes place. You'll be fine. Have a great time and enjoy the scenery along the way. 

thank you @Krishna Heart

thanks @Rosie93 been making lists a bit more and bought a few things today that I might need,will definetley take my time and stop for a rest when neededHeart

thank you @Former-Member Ill definately ask for help as needed from family ect its a good idea not to have to think of things all by myselfHeart

thank you @CrazyChick  all of your udeas sound helpful especially having an idea of how to stay calm,support phone numbers and bottles of water,sometimes its the little things that help most,I definetley am a fan of wearing sunglasses on long trips it helps me to be not so self concious about what others might be thinking,also a huge fan of music so yes with snacks and music and phone numbers I should be okHeart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance