Skip to main content

Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Tennessee
Contributor

getting them to seek help

Hi

im going to see Dr and then counsellor this week. I figure if I cant get my son to go and get help then I must get support as lots of his words cause me to doubt myself.

Im hoping the psycholgist i see may have some helpful ideas as to how to best encourage my son to get the help he needs.

Interestingly yesterday I was messaging my sons garndmother who is dealing with breast cancer diagnosis. My son has said "please dont discuss me with any family"

so when Grandma asked after him I didnt say anything back. And later i told my son also adding " I would have loved to tell Grandma you are going to Dr and feeling much better and looking for jobs, but you are not so I didnt say anything"

I really expected a blast from him for saying this  but he made no comment. Interestingly, later that night he wrote a "To Do" list and left it on kitchen table... on it he had "make Drs app...check about Newstart"

I thought this was really positive... and next dayI said  its good to see youve written a list. I said I had made Drs app for myself on the 5th Aug and he could use that if he liked as Id managed to get an earlier one... well he didnt say much to that and Ive just left it..

I guess the best thing now is to just wait?... The GP told me that my son could get sickness benefits no questions asked.. and Im wondering if this might be better than Newstart.. but Im not sure how to tell him this... I think the applications needed for Newstart may be too difficult.. Does anyone have any advice?

1 REPLY 1

Re: getting them to seek help

Good to hear there might be a shift in attitude for your son @Tennessee, even if only minor in making that list, it's a start and that is progress Smiley Happy That must've been a challenging call, feeling like you couldn't talk to his grandmother about how he's doing, a lot of grandparents love to be involved and up to date with family. No advice to give right now re Newstart vs sickness benefit, maybe the doctor would be best placed to help work out pros and cons with you, unless someone else here has some personal insight and advice. It sounds like you're being very supportive and doing what you can, we ask that you remind yourself of this and trust that you're doing a good job just by following up on these things with your son. Sending love for how you've been feeling and hope tomorrow is a better day Heart Please keep us updated with how things are going

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance