Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: in my shoes.... learnig to live with DID.. dissocative identity disorder.

hi @Maggie today has been ok so far.. to cold to do much so i have spent the day in front of the fire catching up on shows i havent watched for a while. 

thanks for checking in, hope your day has been good to u! 

I retreated to bed yesterday, sometimes there's no other way. I hope you caught up on some good tv. Are you following the royal wedding? Keep warm. We had out first frost this week, -1.

Take care.☀️☀️

hi @Maggie.. not sure about watching the royal wedding. Im glad to see they are getting married, but i hate all the media crap that comes with it.. i feel sorry for them in the fact that the media find whatever dirt they can to make a story, and normally add to it so it sounds good. I guess i see it this way because i use to be in the spotlight for the right reasons and even then it was hard. but now to be in the media spotlight for the wrong reason is 10 times worse! so i know in a way what they must be feeling! 

I was complaining about it being 6... i dont think i could handle -1! LOL 

Question, have u ever had a time where u had a dream about being injuried then u woke up and felt that injury? My shoulder and arm were injuried in my dream last night and today it really hurts. like the injury in the dream became reality... in a way... 

Have you ever experenced anything like this? 

I hope your days is treating you well! 

Mel 

@melq83 Hi, sorry about the late reply, the two people in my life both arrived, out of the blue, today. Very unusual, but appreciated when it happens.

To answer your question about your dream, I haven't experienced what you discribed, but I have remembered some things from my past in dream like fashion. Is it something you can talk to you counsellor about as it could be important?

The -1 is only the beginning, last year we had -6 white frosts, like light snow. Lovely but cold, very cold.

I also feel sorry for the royals and the media. Luckily, they have support. It seems every channel will be covering it.

There is a thread dedicated to sport, I can tag you there if you would like. Let me know if I'm tagging you into places you don't want to go, I don't want to put pressure on you.

I hope your injuries are okish. Take care.

hi  Its good to hear you had company today! i find it tak...

hi @Maggie

Its good to hear you had company today! i find it takes my mind off other things going on when that happens! 

Yeah i dont ever remember it happening like this before, but i do also have many dreams which are memories of childhood that i didnt remember until i dream about it. 

It will be something i will mention at my next visit for sure! 

I hope you have a nice weekend!

i have my youngest having a few friends over for a sleeover party tomorrow night as she turns 7 in a few days so i think it will be a little full on here LOL 

if you could tag me in the sports one that would be great ... thanks again 

take care 

mel 

Re: hi Its good to hear you had company today! i find it tak...

@melq83 Just dropping this off for the big day. Hope the sleepover goes well. Take care.image.jpeg

@melq83 @Maggie<br>My best friend has DID. I want to be there for her but this is all very new for me. Could you please tell me what helps you both in terms of support? I want to understand and support her. She is really struggling. Her husband threw her out, she has 3 kids who are staying with the husband. Her life has fallen apart and she is a mess 😔 It breaks my heart to see her like this but at the same time I feel useless 😕<br>I would be grateful if you could share your experiences with me, if you don't mind? <br>Thank you x

@Bella1978 You sound like a really caring person. For me, the things that have helped has been someone hearing, believed and staying. I lost everyone, husband and every friend. The mental health gave up. I found a social worker who has listened and walked the long painful journey. The momories are painful for me and my social worker, but she has stayed, and the respect I have for her is beyond words. She does not always have the answers, sometimes it's sitting quietly, a coffee, other times we talk. I have read as much as I can to educate and prepare myself.

Its not easy, but your presence and acceptance will mean the world to your friend. It really encourages me to read of people like yourself. People who don't back away from the pain, and there will be plenty of that. 💜💜💜

Hi @Bella1978 this is all very new for me also as i only found out a couple of weeks ago i have DID, but in saying that i guess its all very fresh for me in the term of losing friends etc. 

We only found out that i had DID due to an unfolding situation that has gone on for a few years and due to me facing police charges and me left  feeling very confused and wanting answers i was referred to  a professional where i was diangosed with DID. 

Its very hard from my point of view and frustrating... 

People around me  think i have done what i did out of greed and not caring about people around me and those who supported me... but what poeple done understand is i could not control the things i did and said. 

i wish my friends could understand this. it is now where i need them more than ever and i feel very lost and alone. i am lucky to still have a few of my friends around though. 

The advise i can give u in terms of your friend is to just be there for them, read up on DID as much as you can. i just brought a book that maggie suggested called amongst ourselves and it seems to be a good read for both people who have DID and those who want to know about it.

I think one of the things i love most from the few friends i have left is that they dont treat me any different to how it was before, i can sit with them or text them anytime and i talk openly about what is going on inside my head and i know they wont judge me for what i say. Comfort from those around me is one of the things i tresure most right now! be open with her and let her know u want to help, ask her what she wants from you in terms of support.... 

Please dont give up on your friend! trust me when i tell u that we understand your pain and confusion, but its nothing to what we think and feel oursleves, exspecially if they have only just found out like i did!

Make sure you also get her onto this site! its a great help and she can relate to others who have simialr issues to her, its helped me a great deal  

Good luck and if there is anythingelse i can help you with just ask 🙂 

Mel 

Mel 

@melq83 @Maggie

Thank you both for getting back to me -  really appreciate it.

My best friend has been a life saver for me. the past 18 months have been hell for me as my mum’s health has been very erratic – my best friend was always there for me and I honestly don’t think I could have gotten through it without her. i want to support her and know I am there for her, just as she has been for me.

I have battled depression and anxiety for a very long time, and my mum does too – she is actually in a mental health clinic atm. I have first hand experience with depression and anxiety but I am still trying to get my head around DID. It must be so hard for you both and my best friend. I cant imagine what it would be like. She has no recollection of certain events but she does recall a lot of the times she and I have spent together. she made a new group of friends she met online. I thought it was a bit odd but she wanted to get out more and interact with others. She seemed to be enjoying herself and spending time with her new friends.

@Maggie– I am so happy to hear that you found such a supportive social worker. I saw my bestie late yesterday arvo and did what you suggested, I sat there quietly for her while she cried on my shoulder. I don’t have the answers for her which I find frustrating but I sat there quietly with her. im the kind of person who likes to ‘fix’ things lol … or at least be able to contribute to the solution to the problem!

@melq83

My friend is also very confused. And she is struggling coming to terms with all of this information she is being told re: past events. It is overwhelming for her – the information is all new for her, and there is so much of it. i found that quite confronting - i would be telling her stuff that has happenned and she had no recollection of it. i'll be honest - it scared me. i felt i was losing my best friend. 

I am also happy to hear that some of your friends have stuck by your side. Having support is paramount.

Ive been reading online to try and understand DID. No, I will never give up on my friend. She is a true blessing in my life.

She is currently living with her parents so I know she is safe there. I am relieved. I know the times ahead for her are going to be hard so I will make sure I am there for her.

Thank you both for sharing your experiences with me and giving me advice.

I hope you both have a great day xx

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance