Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Eden1919
Senior Contributor

involuntary treatment

Has anyone ever experienced it? I have more than once and i was wondering what other peoples experiences with it are....

For me it was not a good experience and at times i believe was not needed but it happened and i find people dont often want to talk about this as it is a touchy subject. i guess i am just wondering if i am alone with this or not. but also please feel free to share your story or not no one has to but it would be nice to know that people understood. 

22 REPLIES 22

Re: involuntary treatment

I have been involuntarily hospitalised many many times. I think you'll find that it's not uncommon. I spent a lot of time in a locked cell in the high dependency unit. I was so ill it's very hard to comment on whether it was good or bad. I do know that it was essential for my safety at those times @Eden1919
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Eden1919

I was not involuntariy hospitalised, but they said that if i did leave they would make me involuntary, so i kind of felt like it was the same thing, but i didnt have a terrible experience as such. though i know lots of people have had traumatic times in and of itself,

lj

Yes I have been made involuntary twice.... I was so sick that I am grateful now.

Yes I'm grateful too @Ayesha 😃

it is hard for me to think of it as something that saved me i have such bad memories of it that i just cant think of it as being good or helpful yes there was a lot going on with me but to be that intrusive towards a person and it was just honestly horrible.it makes me shudder for me i cant be grateful

I've been on an ITO many many times, sometimes because I was a danger to myself or others. Other times it was because, so it was said, I had no insight into my illness. My first admission to a ward ever was an involuntary admission following a suicide attempt, it was a terrifying experience being restrained and then locked in a seclusion room. There were no windows and the lights were on 24 hours a day. No toilet except a cardboard bedpan and the bed was a mattress on the floor. No pillow and no blanket. It was tortuous and quite inhumane. I've also been handcuffed to wheelchairs by Police officers, forcibly dragged through my front yard. 

I'm glad things are different now i have private health insurance, because I am no longer at the mercy of the public system.

Gosh Queenie, the way you were treated sounds awful and totally ihumane.  Do you have PTSD now trying to recover from that 'treatment'?  

The mental health system is disgusting.   

That's horrible Queenie..... I thought they would be kinder to people in that situation

@girl99 no I don't think I have PTSD from my experiences, but I flatly refuse to go public for ANY reason whatsoever these days. It is costly having private cover on a pension, but I consider it an essential.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance