Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: All Things Sport...

I would definitely have played footy @Former-Member I was totally mad about it when I was younger and if that had been an option then it would have been what I had done. I used to play with the boys even at high school and then played a few exhibition games for our local club in my early 20s. I absolutely loved footy - went to every local game even when we travelled around the state to play. Now my only interest is in the AFL and has been for a long time. The club level changed a lot and I didn't like the changes so stopped going.

I hear you on looking back on sport related things without much stress involved - but sadly I have associations with sport too that are hard to deal with - the problem with growing up in a small town - everything is connected in some way. Luckily my softball career took me into the city to play so many more good memories there.

Former-Member
Not applicable

That sounds good @Zoe7 .  I grew up in an NRL dominant state (NSW) and never really followed the AFL until the Swans moved from Melbourne to Sydney.  Remember Warrick Capper, and Dr and Leanne Eddelsten? 😊  Then I met my husband not long after.  He has been a South Melbourne supporter all his life, having been a player in Perth as a Swan before being recruited by St Kilda in Melbourne.  So we had footy and cricket very much as joint interests.  In fact it was through cricket that I met him, through a mutual friend.  So sport brought us together.  Anyway I'm off track.  I grew up in an NRL state and would never have been interested in playing that, whether there was a womens team or not.  But AFL ... yeah, I would have liked that.  Certainly it is my preferred game of footy nowadays.  Definitely prefer it (to watch at any rate) over NRL and Rugby.  

I am sorry to hear that AFL has some not so good memories attached to it for you.  I grew up in the country, as in way out bush.  But my family moved to a very small town when I was almost finished school, when I was 16yo.  Its interesting that the City, and softball, has more pleasant memories for you.  Unfortunately the City, which I moved to when in my mid 30's, has only bad memories for me.

Sherry 

I have those bad memories in both the country and the city @Former-Member but I do prefer living in the city - it feels much more like I can get lost in the city and therefore not stand out in any way. I did stand out a bit in the country because of my abilities and any attention was unwanted attention - very much my childhood added to that feeling. It is strange though because for all the things I try to avoid I am quite good at them. I was just talking about some of those things the other day in DBT. We got onto talking about people and relationships and while I am good interacting with people I avoid it as much as I can - and thus the dichotomy of being a teacher lol

@Former-Member Stosur and Barty won the doubles so now Australia are in the final of the Fed Cup - it will be at home as well so a great chance of winning it - woo hoo 🎾🎉

@Former-Member How good were my boys in that first half Smiley Surprised That first run by Moses was amazing - so proud of how well they have came out to play today - what a start at the new stadium Smiley Very Happy

Stosur and Barty won the doubles so now Australia are in the final of the Fed Cup---- yaaaa that is good @Former-Member 

Hello @Zoe7 , @Boonana , @Flying_Hams , @Former-Member 

Former-Member
Not applicable

Parra have been very impressive @Zoe7   👍

I am a happy little Eel today @Former-Member 👍🏉

Former-Member
Not applicable

Im happy for you too @Zoe7 

Certainly a big form turnaround from Parra's 0/19 loss to Raiders last week. 😀

haha yes your boys played all over us last week @Former-Member Smiley Tongue

Great game today - so happy for them - now to take that form forward and have a few more wins. I thought our attack was amazing today which we haven't had for a few weeks - and what a marvellous stadium to play in - hopefully we can make it a cauldron where we are hard to beat. A win for both of us this weekend - woo hoo!!!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance