Skip to main content

Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Craft Corner

With the continuing need to occupy my brain with thinky stuff so it couldn't wander off on it's own, a project was required. At any time, there's a variety of ingredients available for just such activities. I like to take advantage of specials at the fruit shop to help with creativity. Thank goodness I don't go in to the shop anymore and only order online for delivery! At 10c each, I could not pass up those delightful passionfruit! 

The project today began with 20 Passionfruit that arrived early in the week. Cleverly, you've noticed I tend toward 20's in my fruity cooking ingredients. Smiley Wink 

From the pulp of 20 passionfruit, 1.25 cups sugar, juice of 2 lemons (strained), 10 eggs (beaten and strained), a pinch of salt, and finally, 5 tablespoons of butter, with the help of my trusty stirring stick and wok-of-wonder, the already sterilized bottles were filled with deliciousness. 

Passsionfruit Butter bounty.JPG I know what I'm having on my midnight toast tonight. Smiley Wink 

Former-Member
Not applicable

Decided not to do my own teaching crochet video, but it might have been easier in the end! I did a tatting one for a lady in the UK a few years ago, Smiley Surprised Sooo many of the good free teaching videos have disappeared and gone into the paid arena. Smiley Sad

I found some that show and tell how to start and continue, maybe these will help you feel more accomplished than you do right now @Phoenix_Rising . I don't know if you're right or left handed so found one that does both and a couple of others for good measure. 

NB: Always check whether your patterns refer to UK or US stitch terms as they are different and the size, shape, pretty much everything can differ if you use the wrong stitch.

Simply Daisy beginner crochet video  after much reviewing, I found this video to be practically effective and realistic in how to make the slip knot, hold the hook and yarn, and how to move it through each process to get a viable finished swatch. If you're learning terms as you go, it seems she uses US terms for stitches (I did not watch every one).

Love Crochet beginner crochet resource A very handy resource for UK term crochet. Each instruction frame has a video link that shows the action required for the stitches.
Note the hand and finger placements, as these ways of holding the stitches really help with getting a good result.

Moogly how to crochet video Moogly has instructions for right and left handed crocheters and explains the differences between the UK and US stitches as she goes.

@Catcakes for blanket edgings this guy might help how to crochet blanket edgings I love doing edgings.

Also, this place Sheru Knitting is awesome for inspiration and for learning, she's an excellent teacher although some of her work has gone paid (and why not, she is amazing), the beginner stuff is free. 

Stitch Diva used to be my go to, but it's too visually busy and the awesome vids she had have changed, so I didn't put the link. I learned how to better hold my work and about the back bump for neatness from her. 

Well, I do hope that is useful to some one, or if I need to remove some of the links, just let me know. Seems like I've taken over your thread @CheerBear Smiley Embarassed 

Ooh thanks @Former-Member

@I’m actually knitting a baby blanket for a family member but I’d like to crochet an edge to finish it off.👍

Former-Member
Not applicable

Awesome @Catcakes would love to see a pic if you want to share. I get inspired by other people's craft happenings. Smiley Very Happy 

@Acacia do you craft? can you share? 

There’s still a lot to do @Former-Member but I might put it up when I’ve finished.

i love to do art and craft.

@Former-Member I have sewn some simple clothes and knitted the odd scarf here and there but am more of an aspirational crafter! I've always wanted to learn to crochet so I love that you have reviewed and posted all of these videos. At the moment, I'm kept busy with my one year old son so haven't been attempting any craft projects. I'm feeling inspired by this thread though!

Former-Member
Not applicable

OH, wonderful, wonderful, @AcaciaI so enjoy inspiring others to craft! 

Sewing is good, so happy to hear you do that.

Been sewing since I was 5, the lady who looked after me when ma was not able to taught me to sew on her treadle machine. 

Making some nighties for myself is on my to do list, can't buy what I like to wear. 

I find crochet easier and faster than knitting, I hope you try some crochet with us here.

One year olds do indeed take up a great deal of time and effort. When my first was small, I made my sewing area kiddie proof and walled him in with me, he would draw and do all sorts of things while I sewed (it was income for me). They are fond memories. He learned to cook too, won prizes for some things as a young one too. 

@Catcakes come on over and join in any time you feel like it and even if you don't come over anyway, it might brighten an otherwise dullish day, as it does for me. Smiley LOL

Has to go do some other stuffs now, enjoy your craftiness everyone. 

Thanks @Former-Member

@your enthusiasm is certainly inspiring and brightening my day 😍

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hello Craft Land, it's me, back again to inspire your craft bones into action, or to at least think about something pretty and distracting. Smiley LOLSmiley Wink @Catcakes @Acacia @TheVorticon @TAB @Bubbles3 @Shaz51 @Phoenix_Rising @Former-Member @Mazarita

Ages ago, when talking with @CheerBear I mentioned crochet with wire, here's an interesting link to projects and tutorials for it. crocheted wire jewellery

I tried it some years ago but the arthritis in my hands did not like it, and nor did my hooks (wears them out, so don't use your bestest tools for this if you do try it). 

How are your crafting projects going? 

Putting this pretty girl here as well as In the Nest. pattern for Grandma Perkins magical girl

GrandmaPerkinsFlowerChild 2.jpg

Thanks for the tag, @Former-Member. I love the magical flower child! I'm away for three weeks from Thursday, visiting interstate. Maybe new projects when I get back. In the meantime, best to everyone on their crafty projects! Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance