Skip to main content

Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Am Not Coping

Ah cool

Good luck at both your sessions today 🙂

@Zoe7

I know that there are lots of kids who are very inclusive and the smallest bit of directing can be very enabling within a class situation.I do have positive memories of individual kids in orphanage situations and in some classes in school, and also some communities especially when I travelled overseas.  No idea what the names were, but the moments stay with me and help ameliorate my sense of of tainting everyone with the same brush and become generally paranoic.  (This is HUGE.)

Now that I am an old grey mare and can look back over the years, I am learning not to take it personally.  Now I know it is unusual to have so many school changes and house and area movings, as well all the different family/group constellations. The early school changes damaged some of my initial confidence at reaching out, but I still have it as an instinctive part of my nature, as In how I was on this forum. 

Also about 10 years ago I read my ward file and learned a social worker had questioned teachers and children at my primary school, once when I had "gone missing" ie parents absconded with me without paying rent and leaving no forwarding address.  She found me at the school and I remember one brief chat, but the note in the file indicated I was well liked.  I felt alright at that school, which was for 1 2/3 years, during grades 3/4 in inner Sydney.  I often had lunch by myself but there was an attitude of friendliness and enough inclusion for me to feel fine.  However as my situation kept changing due to ongoing parental shifts, the teachers and social workers would not have known and mother would have been sure to keep it secret, and I began to have an isolated experience and probably stopped reaching out, or it was too minimal to establish good relations, and as kids get older the friendships groups are more fixed. SO by end year 11 I was done with school, I was included in work environments, even if not always socially ... hmmmm .... I wish some of the stigma against foster kids would reduce.  It has been hard because stereotypes etc, but in one adult group of Out of Home Care Leavers I know a lot of very hard workers from 13 yo etc   like me.  They are not ALL troublemakers ... hmmmm.

End of rant.

Smiley Embarassed

But thanks @Zoe7

Smiley Happy

SO glad you are optimistic about future teaching.  There is a crisis in education dept where they keep losing the skilled teachers and yes, we get it, first year out teachers are cheaper ..... 

Dont get me started on economic rationalism.

Smiley EmbarassedSmiley Tongue

@Faith-and-Hope Was thinking of you yesterday in the warmth in town. 

Heart

@oceangirl  I had a whirlwind day yesterday in feelings.  My usual from SI to wondering around the CBD a bit lost, to getting it together, returning some purchased items and buying me new shoes needed in costume, and ticking off some important To-Do items.

Take Care Bella

Heart

Hi everybody ..... 👋💕️......

In a break and just found the best chic-chip bickie ..... YUM ❣️

@Zoe7 🦋💕 @Maggie 🌷💜 @Appleblossom @outlander @Former-Member @oceangirl @Former-Member @Teej @Sans911 @TheVorticon @MDT 👋💕️  ..... who have I missed ?  There have been a lot of forumites visiting this thread lately ..... hi @Pepsimax 👋💕 ..... thinking of you too @Snowie .... 😘 ..... @CheerBear .... 🥰🦄 ....

Hey @Faith-and-Hope
I was also touched by your rant/story @Appleblossom

@Appleblossom I have found that it is so often other teachers that do not understand kids from different backgrounds or do not take the time to get to know particular students' needs according to where they are coming from outside of the school. The easiest way to get kids to school and happy is to care - that should be the primary focus of any teacher but so often it is overlooked and each child is seem more as a commodity - I hate that idea so much and it gets me really frustrated when I see that ith other teachers. Thankfully it is not the case with the majority of teachers.

Your experiences growing up were really difficult and it is exactly children like you that I continue to have the passion for the job - it is more than a job - a great teacher not only knows and treats their students as individuals but also cares enough to provide them with the nurturing and supportive environment in which they can thrive - that is my aim anyway!

Hi @Faith-and-Hope I have my GP appointment a bit later but popping in to leave you a Hi and some of these 🌹💕 Hope to catch up with you later but know it is a really busy time for you atm too Smiley Surprised Hope today is a good one for you Hon Heart

Hi to everyone passing through this thread @MDT @Former-Member @Snowie @Sans911 @CheerBear @Teej @Former-Member @BlueBay and all those who I regularly see under the support button @Adge @TheVorticon @Owlunar @outlander...

I am just back from my Royal Commission Family counsellor.

Smiley Happy

@Zoe7 I can get annoyed with people at the zoo who dont care about the people in their charge, whether related or staff.  As you say, lucky its not too many.

Smiley Happy

Thanks @MDT

Despite my fear of break times, especially lunch hour at school, I could usually cope with morning recess without feeling too glum, School was a Safe Place.  I feel so sorry for schools these days that have issues with general safety, here and abroad.

Woman Sad

The importance of good teachers is LIFE CHANGING for many people.  I have mostly enjoyed teaching in different positions, and been lucky to get all ages, from catechism, public service roles to choir and piano.  I have also had some wonderful students.

Smiley HappyHeartSmiley Happy

I agree about teaching @Appleblossom

Without good teachers, I wouldn't be doing what I am doing now. Funnily enough, I'm destined to become one next year doing English.

But the experience as a tutor and also at uni/school has really had an impact on me.

The best story I have is of a student I tutored who nearly quit year 12 because her teachers told her she shouldn't do it. After some tutoring sessions, she stayed the course and went onto uni.

My high school English teacher was excellent. Specifically in year 11/12. Without her input and care, I wouldn't have considered doing my BA.

Forgive me... I'm exhausted atm

@Appleblossom @MDT It is great that both of you have had good experiences with teachers and being the teacher - it really is a rewarding occupation but support is essential ...much like most things in life I suppose!

Totally. @Zoe7 Appropriate to different stages throughout the course of a career too.  DO you remember I was at a fundraiser for better education for Indian girls, run by an ex pat for his home town.  I shared a meal with a Principal Co-ordinator who had been a principal and Vic Ed dept was finally delivering support to principals due to suicide risks .... hmmmmm .... Not sure wots wot in Tassie.

Slowly as standards of living rise, so should standards of work rise ,,, Work Safe should be onto it.  I know I have supported the paramedics in their struggle too.

They are idiots if they send cows to pasture when they have lots to offer and the need is so great and even desperate .... in some areas and schools.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance