Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Nellie
New Contributor

Anhedonia, Emotional Blunting/dumbness

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this subject, I did write on another forum about depression & menopause but since then have done some research and finally at my wits end. Wont be too long winded but thought menopause was causing my symptoms (still get hot flushes etc) have been on antidepressants about 19 yrs ago for panic attacks and anxiety have been off them for nearly 16yrs. Have been on HRT for around a year and another antidepressant drug about a year ago so now am off all medication.

But my home life and especially my marriage is suffering to the extent think after 30 yrs it might be coming to an end.

Symptoms: I have no emotions, to the extent that my husband says he is leaving me (my head is upset) but I don't feel it, don't want it to happen but don't feel anything, My dog just had to have major surgery my husband was a mess and I just took it in my stride. No interest in anything that I used to be interested in music, craft, arts. My sex drive has gone. I used to be a very vibrant person very emotional but now as my husband calls me a robot. Its a living hell. The only time that I felt like this was when I took medication19 yrs ago used to stand in front of my babies and say I know I love you but cant feel it.

Have read up on antidepressants don't seem to be any help. I just want to feel again ...even to the extent of having anxiety or panic attacks anything is better than feeling absolutely nothing.

I live on the Gold Coast and would love to to talk to a doctor that is sympathetic to this condition and that wont cost an arm & leg.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Anhedonia, Emotional Blunting/dumbness

Hi @Nellie

Welcome to the Forums!

Thank you for sharing your story. I'm sorry to hear what you're going through at the moment. You mentioned that you felt this way before, 19 years ago. Can you remember what helped you through that time?

I just want to let you know that the Forums are anonymous, so while it is ok to mention that you're in the Gold Coast area, we do ask that you not provide any information that could reveal your "real-life" identity. We also ask that members don't mention specific practitioners so while other members can offer all kinds of tips and support, they won't be able to help with recommendations of practitioners.

Welcome once again Nellie. I look forward to reading more of your posts.

Welcome @Nellie

I have also looked at hormonal issues of menopause as being a part of where I am at now ... but I also see the brain as a giant gland and most human experiences in the light of hormones ... not just sexual hormones or gender rights of passage.

I am definitely in the sunset of my life.  As we all are living longer these days I am trying to embrace it as such ... a little bit slower and more experienced and less reactive may not really mean robotic ... I dont have to worry about what a partner thinks ... but am single ... there are different pay-offs ... I guess ...

Part of the value of the forum is the wide range of input from others and the synergy that emerges from different interactions.

cheers

Hi @Nellie

I'm so sorry to read what you are going through at the moment. It sounds rough for both you and your husband 😞

Did you know that you can access up to 10 free sessions a year with a psychologist through a referral from your GP? It's covered by Medicare, so as long as you have a medicare card, you are eligible. 

Might be a useful thing to look into? 

Wishing you all the best,

Zahlia

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance