Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Lillian4
New Contributor

Borderline personality disorder and memory loss

Hi I’m trying to support my son with BPD and he often complains of memory loss, can’t remember his childhood let alone yesterday. Is this normal?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Borderline personality disorder and memory loss

Hey there @Lillian4 thanks so much for posting, I am really sorry to hear about your son's memory loss. My guess would be, dissociative states could certainly impact memory, but a helpline would be better placed to have a chat about this. The SANE Help Centre are open 10-10pm weekdays, they have a lot of insight into BPD and are good for general strategies and advice. 

Do you find this is the biggest challenge in supporting him? That he has differing memories of childhood, or even recent events? What does that conversation look like? Feel free to tell us a bit more and the community can definitely provide some insight Heart

Hi is in a constant state of wishing he could just sleep and never wake up. He have been admitted to local mental health ward of hospital where he received his diagnosis. As much as I have researched I haven’t read about memory issues. He had a happy upbringing in my opinion; friends, overseas holidays, no poor by any means. Depression started in my opinion at my marriage breakdown and divorce. Roller coaster since then, I have fought to get him help and accessed headspace, mental health and wait for dbt therapy. He has spoken about no good memories and just today said looking at the photo album brought him to tears. I wasn’t there at that time. He is asleep now. He has phoned his support nurse who said if he can’t stop thinking about suicide to come back to the Ed. But they seem to keep him 72 hours and see a happy side of him. I am ready to drive him in but thought id reach out for help while he is asleep again.

Hi Lillian4,

I am also a new contributor.  I have had issues with my 14yo daughter for 18 months and I am now looking at BPD.  Im almost 99% sure she has it however she has not been diagnosed.  I am sorry to hear about your son.  Its a tough road.  My daughter also mentions memory loss.  To what extent I am not sure but she definately forgets a lot of things.  My struggle is to get my daughter to sleep so I would let him sleep as long as you can and pray he's ok when he wakes.  Might give you some rest too.  

All the best

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance