Skip to main content

Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Checking In

👋 @oceangirl 

can you start therapy soon. If you could and it doesn’t help and you still need hospital, can you go in then. Maybe that is a way to negotiate it. Just an idea. I know you have always found hospital beneficial. Maybe ongoing therapy might be help with you with the ongoing stresses with your dad having dementia. 

Sorry im not much help. Just fell into a ball of tears myself and had an sos with my psych. I think mine is partly attributed to changing/new meds too. 

hey @oceangirl

Hospital is the last resort as @Meowmy was saying. But again, if that's what you need then it is what you need. Perhaps give it a week or so and that way you avoid making rash decisions but I'm not one to talk about rash decisions tbh.

I'm sorry about your dad. But I do imagine that he would love the fact you are there for him. You are a great person for that and everything else too 🙂

is hospital mental health related? or something else?

@oceangirl 

I amjust popping in between classes, and I don’t know what to advise you, so I am going to leave you a hug 🤗 to let you know I am thinking of you.

Hi @oceangirl 

To hospital or not to hospital, that is the question. Whew! I think many of us have asked ourselves that same question when life feels so hard to navigate, prioritse and cope with.

I'm sorry you're in this predicament and sympatise with decisions you're facing. The reality of your situation though is about the 'system' more than what you think's best.

Availability of psych ward beds, severity of diagnosis/symptoms and outpatient resources available to you are some of the details considered when assessing if they're able to admit you. Risk to yourself and others of course takes priority.

Can you describe what's happening that makes you feel hospital's the best option right now apart from the dementia issue you've mentioned? Sometimes dot-pointing things and taking it to your GP can identify specific areas of concern and easier options for treatment such as medication. If he/she feels hospital's the best option, they can advocate on your behalf with hospital clinicians.

I have faith in you ok. Most of our recovery work is done at home anyway, independent of clinical support. It's tough, but doable in most cases. You have self awareness and have asked for help which are important in assessing your needs and mental state.

You could try creating a pro's and con's list; this can be helpful in determining if hospital's the right direction to take. Keep us up-to-date 📝on how you're doing.

Sending courage your way 💌 and wishing you well hun...Heart

Hi @oceangirl 

I would suggest hospital stay. Can you tell them that you really need to go in. I understand what you mean. You have a lot in your plate. But only you know how you feel. Take care ❤️

Hi @Hope4me 

Its a question I have been pondering the last week (hospital). My current symptoms are really overwhelming for me- although I have started to pick up in the last few days. Its more the worsening of my depression and anxiety symptoms. The dementia is not me its my Dad. The hospital is a private facility and I have been going there for sometime. There is no issue in finding a bed - its more about when I could go into hospital and there can be a little wait on the bed there too. 

I can see a point for me not being in hospital because obviously most of the issues I am facing will be here when I return from hospital. However it has been close to two years since I was last in hospital. I am really struggling functioning day to day. I think it will get me back on a even keel with support being in hospital. 

I am sorry this post is over the place. I am trying to think what I need to do and what are my issues. I know I have mention them above. I think its mainly the worsening of my symptoms and not managing day to day. Hospital could help with reducing my symptoms, and give me break from daily stressors that maybe contributing to my depression. 

Thank you for your kind words and I will have a talk to my GP tomorrow.

Hi @BlueBay 

How are you my sister? 

I am not sure if I should stay locally or attend the treatment centre interstate? 

Because they have given me the runaround I feel a bit frustrated and angry with them- why does it have to be so hard & diffcult. I will just see what happens over the next few days or week.At least I am feeling a bit more grounded.

my wonderful sister @oceangirl it is up to you if you want to try therapy first-, when do they start , they might be helpful , sitting with you xoxo

@oceangirl im not sure what your best options would be, that really is for you to decide however id like to point out that even when your dads dementia worsens you can still go to hospital if required. there are respite services on various levels (from in home care, a live in carer for a few days or him going to a respite centre such as a nursing home for the required time). hope this helps release abit of pressure for you to think you need to utilise every service you think you may loose if things worsen Heart

Hi @oceangirl ,

I am sorry for ur dilemma. Im probably not the best person to advise u as i hav not had a hospital admission but am facing one coming up soon so they can get me off short term anti anxiety meds that i hav bn on long term, and im absolutely petrified! 

But obviously u hav had previous hospital admissions and hav gained benefit from them which is great. Only u know where u r at and having had admissions, whether u are in that place now where u need one. I agree with the person who encouraged u to make some dot point notes about where ur at now and why u believe a hospital admission is necessary for u. It may help u to clarify ur own thoughts as well as present them to ur gp or pdoc in an effective manner.

Im sorry i cant b more help @oceangirl  but sitting with u thru this. 

Let us know what u decide and how u get on.

Hugs.

Doglover

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance