Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Dissociative Identity Disorder Carers?

@Smc  Thinking of you and family. 

@Determined, @Shaz51, @Former-Member ... appreciated.

All seems to be back to normal with Older Daughter for now.

We were going to be going to a carer support group this evening, but due to sleeping badly last night decided it would be counterproductive. It's a half hour drive, we'd need to organise somewhere for Younger Daughter to spend the evening, and I had a headache. We had a fish and chips dinner and watched some silly online TV episodes instead.

@Smcimages (44).jpg

@Smc 

Trust your trip goes OK.

4f8046dca8dcc85fb874005a7f0d431b--birthday-ideas-birthday-cards.jpg@Smc 

Thanks @outlander, @Former-Member  et al.

I'm leaving today, will be heading home again Wednesday. Need to get brekky in and pack the last few things, then head up to my sister's place. Hubby and younger daughter will follow us up there tomorrow afternoon/evening so that she doesn't miss a rehearsal of her school play. Bit of time juggling.

hope the time away is good @Smc

Thinking of you as you travel @Smc 

Hi Peoples... back home. Arrived back late Wednesday, but didn't spend much time online yesterday. It was sunny, and growing things were busy in the garden. 😄

The trip went fairly well. Got quite a bit done, travel was mostly uneventful, parents are reasonably well at the moment. But I have caught some kind of cold now, which is mostly presenting as an earache. Yuck.

Older Daughter's been in ER again, but this time it was because she dropped a 5kg chunk of redgum firewood on her foot. She's on crutches to rest it, has had a CAT scan to double check that nothing's broken. (I think they x-rayed on the night.) We took her to do some supermarket shopping after the scan yesterday. We asked if she was OK to do it herself, both because we don't want to encourage her to be dependent, and because it's emotionally exhausting being a human crutch...

Another ED visit with SI last night. We heard about it this morning. She tried to phone us a couple of times last night, but we were so sleepy with the cold we've both got at the moment that we didn't even hear it. Our bedroom is only in the next room, so usually the phone wakes us.

Was talking with her about the problem of how "normal" ED visits to repair assorted injuries has become, and that most people might never have a single accidental injury in their life that was as serious, or if they did, it would be a big thing... not an "ordinary" occurence.

Problem is, we end up reacting as if it's "ordinary" too. I'm wondering if it may in some ways be similar to caring for a child who has an illness that you know will mean they probably won't survive into adulthood. While there's life, you keep loving them, you try to encourage them, you try to keep them as healthy as possible, but all the time living with the background knowledge that they could "go" at any time. If we lost her, we wouldn't be able to say it was unexpected. At the same time, we keep hoping we won't. 😞

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance