Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: EMDR - Has anyone done this

That is one of the best things about being here @Doglover There are people that understand what you are going through and even those that don't are very much supporting you in your own journey. I don't think you give yourself enough credit Hon - you are getting through each day and that really is all you need to do right now. One day at a time in however way you can manage it Smiley Very Happy Keep asking for that support as you have done here and believe in yourself - you can do this and get through these next couple of weeks. No doubt the thought of hospital is adding to your fears but the experiences of your Mum are not yours and a lot has changed. You got this @Doglover and we are right behind you along the way Smiley Very Happy

You've got a shoulder here @Doglover   Heart

Thanks so much @eth , i rly appreciate it, and need it. Thank u my friend.

Doglover 💜

Youre a gem @Zoe7 ! Thank u so much for ur lovely words of encouragement. You rly hav a way with words and supporting and encouraging ppl. I certainly hope i can get thru the next 2+ weeks. Everyday seems to be worse than the last. "One day at a time in however way u can manage it", i like that. 

I so wish i cld physically see u all, behind me, beside me, supporting me, but thats not how this works hey. But i rly appreciate ur support Zoe, u hav bn so good to me.

How r u doing Zoe?. U were doing it a bit tough a cpl of days or so ago. How r u doing now my friend?

Thinking of u.

💜 Doglover

Yes one day at a time @Doglover If we just concentrate on the day we are in then we have no need to look forward - or even back. Do what you can when you can in the moment and that helps us get through. It is not easy but keeping busy often helps me to keep my mind focussed on other things and away from my thoughts.

I am doing okay today - very much in 'keeping busy' mode. It is a nice day here and the grass is dry enough finally to mow so that is my day. I have moved some things I needed to move in the front yard so the next step is cut back some bushes and then mow the front yard. That won't take long as it is a very small yard. Then I can move to the back and get that mowed too. I find it very satisfying having the yards mowed and the hosue vacuumed - when both of those things are done it feels cleaner and less stressful.

I left the graffe in front of the heater overnight and he is dry enough to do another coat so I may do that later this afternoon if I have time before the footy starts tonight. Getting there in degrees but also enjoying the process too so that is a bonus.

Taking 1 day at a time is something i seem to rly struggle with, my mind is constantly thinking of all the future worst case scenarios, i find it so difficult to bring it back to today and just live today. Its like my mind has a mind of its own (so to speak) and just races off and does its own thing, and its never a good thing. It always catastrophizing. Its horrible. 

I havnt got a lot on today but will b trying to be in keep busy mode too, not quite as busy as u by the sounds of it! Thats a very busy day! It will b a gd sense of avhievement when its all done.

Ur giraffe, is it paper mache, or something else? 

@Zoe7 

Yes the giraffe is papier mache over a wire base @Doglover We did it many years ago at school for a parade and he got beaten up a bit over the years so a complete make-over was required. He will be more looked after at the new school and then will come home with me again if I have to move schools again at the end of the year - and probably live in the spare room. He is the size of a baby giraffe but fits under the top of the door frame (just). I do love him - he is my favourite thing I have ever made Smiley Very Happy

It is very hard to live in the moment or the day Hon - it has taken me a lot of therapy and a lot of practice - and I certainly still have not mastered it. There are many days when present thoughts and future thinking hijack the day - those are times I just do what I have to do to get through the day and then start again the next day. After all that is all we can control - the here and now. The past has gone and the future is yet to come. We may be who we are now because of the past but it doesn't need to occupy all our waking (and sometimes sleeping) moments - and it certainly does not define who we are. You have strength Hon - just like so many here. What you have been dealing with and getting through every day shows that strength. Hold onto that in the moment and give yourself permission to just be. Sometimes we need that - to just sit, relax and not worry about those things that we cannot control. Work towards what you want in the future but try not to let it take over your thoughts today - today is all we have and it is only today that we really need to deal with.

@Doglover  I agree with all that @Zoe7 has said and couldn't say it any better.  Hope you're getting through today ok.  Sometimes it's one hour at a time.  As they say - yesterday is history and tomorrow is a mystery - but it's hard to practice when we have acute anxiety and other symptoms on top of that.   Are there any little things you do that give you pleasure - like an art or craft activity or cooking or having a warm bath?  It does sound as if your dog gives you pleasure.  Hope you had or have a nice walk together.

@Doglover Just checking in to see how you are travelling today Heart

morning @Doglover hope you've made it thru the weekend ok. My weekend plans were all ruined by my car breaking down. It's a very old car. Had to be towed. I find out today if it's fixable and how much $.

Thanks so much for taking an interest in my work and all your encouragement. It really helps me feel strong and I appreciate it. You and Gazza are the only ones here who've asked me about my job so I haven't felt very supported here, it feels like on-one cares. And someone ridiculed my job which scared me off the forum for a couple of days. 

If it helps, from your posts it sounds like your symptoms are not getting worse, it seems like they are stable, just at a horrible, fever-pitch level of high anxiety. But it doesn't sound like you're getting worse.

Does it help to keep busy or are you too distracted by your symptoms to get stuck into this or that?

When is your next appointment with psychologist or psychiatrist, OT or group?

Keep hanging in there @Doglover , you're doing an awesome job under  very difficult circumstances and are being very strong. Sitting with you & thinking of you today xx

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance