Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Alec_29
Contributor

Feel like i'm dying all the time & Anxiety

HI Everyone

I have developed severe Generalised anxiety and Health/illness anxiety. I am constantly anxious all day everyday and I constantly feel as if Im dying of a health issue, I have chest pain/discomfort and a tightness and throbbing in my neck, weird feeling almost like its a nerve thing in my head practically everyday and its really worrying. I am constantly anxious all the time and worried about the fact that im dying or could be dying in the future even if I have no physical symptoms and its getting worse. I am having what I think are panic attacks regularly ranging from the start of a panic attack (mild) to me going into my Mum & step dads room at ridiculous hours crying, panicking presenting with a variety of concerning physical symptoms that are indicative of heart attacks, strokes, meningitis etc. and begging them to help me, to call a doctor or take me to the ER. Its stupid because logically I know that nothing is probably wrong with me and that its probably anxiety or something like a muscle ache but its the fact that there is always a chance (however small it may be) that i'm right and that something might actually be seriously wrong and requires medical attention is really distressing but my parents wont take me seriously. I will often go to the doctor with my symptoms and they will dismiss me in a subtle way and say its fine or nothing etc and they wont take me seriously because i'm 17 and anxious, I just want the doctors to take me seriously and to do some tests to check my health and then if the results are clear I can (hopefully) put my mind at ease so that way I know its almost certain my symptoms are anxiety or stress induced. Im also scared to go to sleep in case I die in my sleep as there are a few medical conditions that can cause you to just die in your sleep without warning and this is really terrifying because I don't have any control over it. I have been to the GP and given a mental health care plan and have been refereed to headspace which is good but I have just been told that I wont get my first session for 2-3 months and I don't think I can cope that long with the anxiety and I also have to worry about yr 12 and im doing academic subjects. I feel like im losing it and im not coping. 

20 REPLIES 20

Re: Feel like i'm dying all the time & Anxiety

Hi @Alec_29

Great to meet you! Good on you for stepping up and sharing your story. 

I noticed that you're 17. These Forums are for 18+, and I'm sure you will get some helpful responses here, however, ReachOut.com is targeted at 14 - 25 year olds and have an online forum, just like this one! You can find their website here and their forums here

I hope they are helpful!

I would suggest to bridge the gap between now and your appointment to use resources like ReachOut's Forums and also Kids HelpLine - or similar helplines that can talk you through challenging times.

All the best!

Oh my sounds like I'm reading my life story from when I was 17. I was in year 12 and actually doing a uni course and at the doctors every weekend with a new illness.

The amount of not real heart attacks I've had. Wow I would break a record. And brain cancer, and disease from mosquitos, SARS, bird flu, stroke and many more illness are the reason I would visit the doctor.

It's the worst feeling because you get the thought in your head I'm having a heart attack then you go no that's silly then you feel a tingle in your finger then the little anxiety voice gets bigger then your like no im fine and keeps going to your comon sense ain't there and your screaming I'm dieing. I use to scream at mum my to take me to the hospital to as I literally thought I was going to die. It's the worst fear.

I'm now 29 and I'm still not perfect and have semi freak outs I'm dieing but not to the point of take me to the hospital screams.

Some of the things that helped me get there is google doctor is your worst enemy. It is not your friend! It hates you and you hate it! You can not diganouse yourself on it and even though you have two symptoms to say cancer high chance it's really actually nothing.

Doctor/Er shows again are the enemy. They put new illness in your head and your head dose not want that. I refuse to watch those shows.

I found myself a really good sort after GP. For me I want the best because I trust the best. I also made sure they understood me and I understood them. I would go in rather often and scream I'm sick and he would go through what I'm freaking about then he would talk to me about why I don't have that illness due to the fact I don't really have any symptoms. He would try and calm me down and talk about something positive in my life. Not once did they ever run tests on me for these in my head illness as I was not sick. The reason is he ain't going to X-ray my my body every week because that will make me sick. He ain't going to let me leave the office with a blood test that I did not need as it would cause me to panic.

Another thing I have done and it takes time. I am tuned into my panic attacks. I can tell when one is coming. I know a panic attack can not at all physically harm me. So for me personally when I feel one coming on I say to myself I want to have a good day can you please leave now. I don't feed it energy. I try and ignore it and get on with life. I can feel it there but I don't let it take over. If it's a bigger panic attack I do something that makes me happy, draw or watch tv. Something to keep my mind busy. If it's a massive one and I get those scary thoughts I just repeat to myself non stop it's a panic attack I'm 100% healthy. This feeling will past. I repeat that non stop.

I hope some of that helps you. I truly do know how horrible it is but it's not forever. It's all about just traning your brain and taking out anything that can set you off.

All the best xxx

You know what makes matters worse is when you go to the ER and all of a sudden all your symptoms vanish, leaving you looking like the boy who cried wolf... Ive been down that road many times and its frustrating trying to explain that you are not making up the symptoms but that its a real thing and you really are suffering

hello @Killa_Wea and welcome to the forums

if you would like we have an introduce yourself here thread so we can get to know you a little more and help you find your way around more too. 

you can find the thread here (just click on the link and itll take you straight to the thread) 

also to tag members if you type in the @ symbol names will pop up and you click on the names and itll 'tag' that member like your talking to them. or if your on your phone type in the @ symobol but youll need to type in the name

again welcome abaord

Hi @Killa_Wea,

Welcome to the forums, I hope you find it helpful and supportive 🙂 Good to meet you and hope to see you around the forums again 🙂

Hello, I know this was over a year ago now and I hope everything has calmed down for you! But I found this forum post online and it just reads everything I am also experiencing at my worst of times! From living with the mother and step dad all way too, gp’s not taking me seriously! Anyone you could get in contact? Hearing from someone with same experiences would be nice. Cheers

How stupid of a reply  . They are 17. They could be 18 in a few weeks why should they look at another place for help for the sake of months or even days in age differnt . Very unhelpful and slightly rude . 

@NikNik wrote:

Hi @Alec_29

Great to meet you! Good on you for stepping up and sharing your story. 

I noticed that you're 17. These Forums are for 18+, and I'm sure you will get some helpful responses here, however, ReachOut.com is targeted at 14 - 25 year olds and have an online forum, just like this one! You can find their website here and their forums here

I hope they are helpful!

I would suggest to bridge the gap between now and your appointment to use resources like ReachOut's Forums and also Kids HelpLine - or similar helplines that can talk you through challenging times.

All the best!

Welcome to the forums @Aaron. I'm glad you found something you can relate to and I'm sure lots of our other members can relate to your experience too. Please do feel free to keep jumping in on any discusions of interest to you. You can also introduce yourself to our community here if you feel up to it. 

I can see you're new to the forums too @Shades313 so welcome. I'm just dropping in as I noticed your feedback about our age range. As you might imagine people from different age ranges have different needs. This is particularly the case for people aged under 18. As our service is not designed to meet the needs of young people, it's important for us to be transparent about this with our members, and to direct them to support services that are better placed to meet their needs. Our age limitations are set out in our guidelines. If you'd like to provide further feedback on this guideline, you can do so by contacting us here.

As a gentle reminder, when offering your opinion, it's important to use respectful language too. This is set our in the guidelines linked above. If you have any further questions about using the forums, please email us at team@saneforums.org. 

Look forward to seeing you both around the forums. 

I'm not sure where I used offensive language 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance