Skip to main content

Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

eth
Community Elder

Feeling jittery and anxious

Just had a big lesson about getting preoccupied with someone else's needs and forgetting my own.  Last night a friend I help out with mobility needs rang quite late and asked me to take her into town today.  I set the alarm and was up and ready to go at the time she said she wanted to go.  No word from her this morning so I rang to see if she was ready and she cancelled - hadn't even bothered to let me know. 

3 hours later and I've just realized I was meant to see my psychiatrist this morning for the first time in 3 months.  I need to get scripts as I'm due to travel in 2 weeks and am out of repeats and running out of meds.  I've rung the clinic and left a message for him and am really hoping he will ring me and make arrangements but I can't stop shaking since I realised.  I really wanted to talk to him too and had been thinking about this appointment every day this week.  Can't believe I forgot and didn't check my diary again as I usually do.  Also feeling pretty cranky with said friend.  Also concerned as to how much I'll be charged for not showing up.  It's never happened before and he's good enough to bulk bill me when I go but I'm worried they might charge me the full fee for a no-show.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Feeling jittery and anxious

Dr hasn't rung back.  Feeling angry at myself for stuffing up.

Hi @eth. Sorry to hear about the knocks today. Sending a hug (if you would like that). You will connect with the psychiatrist clinic before too long I think and hopefully something can be worked out before your travel. There's still a little bit of time left before you go. If you don't hear back before the end of the weekend, I'd suggest trying again on Monday. Also, I've been able to access emergency prescriptions of my psych meds through GPs when I have missed appointments with my psychiatrist. Maybe that's a possible backup for you too. In the meantime try to do your best to breathe through the jitters if you can. I know this may not be easy just now. Maybe something to distract you like chatting here, a book or TV. Hope something of what I'm saying is helpful. Heart

Former-Member
Not applicable

Oh no @eth I'd be cranky with myself too but we're only human and forget things when other stuff happens! Hopefully your psych will realise that it's out of character for you and not charge you. I've also had to get scripts from my gp inbetween psych visits so maybe that's an option. Sounds like your friend wasn't being overly thoughtful of you this morning but maybe that is unusual for her too and it's just a bad day all round!! Hope your afternoon has been a bit better!
Lj

Thankyou @Mazarita and @Former-Member. The things you have said are exactly what I've been telling myself all afternoon. Have settled somewhat but still thinking about it a lot. Keeping the phone beside me and still hoping the Dr will ring. Found out he's on 'til 6pm so there's still hope. Hoping the GP is allowed to prescribe the meds I'm on if I have to do it that way. And only last night I was saying I don't really panic anymore! This wasn't a full-blown panic attack but was palpitations and shaking. Had to use the breathing and the CBT and am repeating them periodically since then.

Sounds like you are doing positive things to help calm down your mind and emotions, with the rational self-talk, breathing and CBT. I'm going out to visit my friend around the corner very soon but may be back online later tonight if you feel like talking then.

Things worked out. At the end of the day the clinic rang and the psychologist had written the scripts and left them there for me to collect.  No fee.  He also left a message saying if I only need scripts and am more stable now I can just see the GP for the scripts.  Mixed feelings about this.  It's mostly good news as I have been more stable the last 2-3 months but it means psychologist and psychiatrist both stopping in a short period.  Hope I keep doing ok.  First time in 2 years I will not have either to check in with regularly.

Former-Member
Not applicable

If I'm reading your post right I think he's giving you the option, so if you're feeling a bit vulnerable in not seeing him do make another appointment to talk it through. Glad you do have the option of getting the scripts through the gp though 🙂 mostly good news as he feels confident enough in how well you are doing to b able to give you the option 🙂
Lj

That's how I'm seeing it now too @Former-Member.   Thanks for your support today.

Glad it sorted itself out .... I had a similar event 2 weeks ago ...where I agreed to a reasonable but spontaneous request ..forgot something and became distressed ...

My Gp was ok about me collecting scripts from the reception ... it is good that they have confidence in you .. and getting used to slipping up ... but keep going on ...is a part of life ....

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance