Skip to main content

Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Former-Member
Not applicable

Generic antidepressants

Hi. I'm taking an antidepressant and recently changed to a different generic. I've noticed my anxiety and depression are resurfacing. It may be a coincidence but I am wondering if this has happened to you? Are generics different enough to do this?
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Generic antidepressants

Hi @Former-Member

It's great that you are noticing when things are changing for you.

Have you mentioned this to the pharmacist? They might have some advice, including:

- whether the change between brands takes some time to adjust (ie: should these symptoms subside after an amount of time)

- whether a generic brand would in fact make a difference

You could also call Medicines Line: http://www.nps.org.au/contact-us/medicines-line

You have done the right thing by looking into this and asking the questions. Gather as much info as possible (here, medicine line, the pharmacist and the professional who prescribed it etc) and be armed with the information to make a decision.

It sounds like you are very aware of your own wellbeing - do have some strategies or plans to look after yourself if your anxiety and depression continues to resurface?

Former-Member
Not applicable

Thanks. Ive recently moved areas so have no professional support yet. I do need to book in for a GP.

My understanding is that generics dont have that big a difference ... according to my pharmacists ... I have always accepted them when available to help the public purse.... But if symptoms persost it is important to develop a health network.

Hi @Former-Member

Ah so much admin stuff to do when you move to new areas... finding a good GP, a good local grocer and good coffee (well that's my list of things to do when I move...).

How have you found the move... are you liking it better than where you were before?

Former-Member
Not applicable

Yes, the move went really well, thanks. I'm enjoying life here so far. It is better than where I was. Update: I saw a GP and booked in for a mental health plan. I will follow up with a psychologist too. I hope that I feel better tomorrow.
Former-Member
Not applicable

@NikNik
Coffee should definitely be first on the list!! Without that how do you even start to do the other stuff?? 😜

Just kidding

@Former-Member well done on the move and getting so organised already! I've just moved kind of but staying in the same area so not so much to change! Just moving is exhausting enough! Hope your day is good tomorrow keep up the self care and b extra nice to yourself, I hope being here in the forums will help you to feel supported while you wait for psychology support.
Take care
Lj
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance