Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Dothemo
Senior Contributor

Having issues with psychiatric medication

Hi SANEforums,

Well, if you read my story you'll see that I haven't had the best run on psychiatric medications. I had a bad reaction to ADD meds as a kid, had activation syndrome from a common antidepressant in 2012 and became tolerant and inadvertently addicted to a common tranquiliser. I'm dealing with the fallout of it now after withdrawing.

So I was so messed up over the tranquiliser withdrawal period I didn't take my SSRI antidepressant, I noticed that my libido came back, I had forgotten I had one! The antidepressant was suppressing it totally. I went back on the SSRI to counter depression over Christmas and it was somewhat effective but also effective in destroying libido again. So I'm considering withdrawing as I've read a few studies online stating that it causes long term brain changes and I'm worried about that. What has it done and what will it do long term is my concern. Plus having a healthy libido is a good thing I think.

I have lost almost all trust in psychiatric medications, (I still trust normal medication though) are my concerns justified? Should I talk to my GP about tapering and deal with the anxiety and depression naturally?
1 REPLY 1

Re: Having issues with psychiatric medication

@Dothemo. I can totally understand where you're coming from in relation to wondering about the AD's withdrawals etc. Having a conversation with your G.P is the best solution as he can alleviate most of your anxieties. Some people might advise 'googling' as a quick response. However, googling will answer some of your queries, but not the emotional turmoil re: withdrawals, as everyone reacts differently. Also your appetite and diet and sleep pattern comes into question slightly. These are things your G.P is qualified to answer, so discussing with him is your best bet.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance