Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

SolidRock
Casual Contributor

Housing options for youth with mental illness

Hi friends,

I am in NSW trying to care for a friend who has severe depression, he is currently the guardian of a 16 year old boy who has significant mental health needs too. They both are getting professional help, but they are toxic living together. They have a co-dependency that means they need each other, but each of them is bad for each other. It is almost to the point where the 16 year old can't live there anymore, because they are both causing the other to spiral down.

The 16 year old can't move back home, because it is even worse (can you imagine!) and the source of much of his trauma. Are there options available for minors to have somewhere to live that gives them care and supervision. The big problem is that neither has any form of private cover, so it would have to be publically funded via medicare.

On that topic, if the 16 year old moved out, my adult friend would be alone in his house. He needs someone to speak to daily in person to keep him healthy. I don't think that there are options for someone to stay with him, but if there are I'd love to hear them.

I really don't know where to start, so the right people to call to get answers would be just as helpful as an answer itself.

Thanks team.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Housing options for youth with mental illness

Hi @SolidRock

Nice to meet you. To answer your question to the best of my knowledge there are refuges that cater for minors who are facing homelessness that can assist with some of their needs. Not sure on supervision as I think at that age they are allowed to come and go. Best to google such youth refuges and make inquiries in your local area - they could best advise you further with more detail and whether it meets the type of needs your friend requires. If they can't they may suggest an alternative that can. Otherwise I don't think there are any other options but housing commission which just offers a roof but not help and support. Hope everything work outs for your friend soon

Hey @SolidRock
Anglicare, carers Australia or similar organizations might be a good starting point.

Hello @SolidRock

It is nice to meet you 🙂

It is great that you are trying to seek out options for support and housing for your friend's child. It can be difficult to find housing, so keep calling around and see what there is in your area, sometimes there is a waiting list which can make things tough.

However, there are drop in centre's or places that are inbetween a more permanent housing, I have given you some organisations below that provide services for young people under 26yrs old - I would say the best option would be NEAMI, but definately try the other places too.

Headspace / eheadspace
1800 650 890 (national)
9:00am and 1:00am seven days a week
www.headspace.org.au  / www.eheadspace.org.au 
headspaceprovides early intervention mental health services to 12-25 year olds and their family. This incorporates mental health, physical health, work and study support and alcohol and other drug services. Service offered via:
headspace centres are located throughout all areas of Australia, so you can access the type of health worker you need (eg GP, psychologist, social worker, alcohol and drug worker, counsellor, vocational worker or youth worker). Locate your nearest centre online
eheadspace
If you don't have a headspace centre nearby or you don't feel ready to visit a centre, eheadspace provides confidential online (email and chat) and telephone support. To access eheadspace you need to register. eheadspace also holds monthly online information sessions where you can join group chats to talk on different things.

Kids Matters
1800 KIDSMP (1800 543 767)
frontdesk@kidsmatter.edu.au 
www.kidsmatter.edu.au/ 
KidsMatter is an Australian mental health and well-being initiative set in primary schools and early childhood education and care services. It’s a framework helping services care for children's mental health by:

• creating positive school and early childhood communities
  • teaching children skills for good social and emotional development
  • working together with families
  • recognising and getting help for children with mental health problems.
  • Website has information on: Mindfulness; Getting help; Starting school; School refusal; Body image; Bullying.

NEAMI National (Vic, NSW, QLD, SA & WA)

03 9481 3277
www.neami.org.au 
Neami provides a wide range of mental health and wellbeing services in different parts of Australia using the Collaborative Recovery Model (CRM) to assist consumers build confidence and skills.

• Neami Service Finder- find Neami services in your area using the Neami Service Finder. You can also contact their Head Office.Community / home outreach
  • Community programs
  • Prevention and early intervention services - short-term live-in or outreach support to prevent hospitalisation and after discharge
  • Service coordination
  • Homelessness support - In Sydney and Melbourne Neami support people to find secure, affordable and safe housing
  • Flourish - recovery-focused self-development program designed for people who have lived with mental health issues for some time and are looking to make improvements in their life.
  • Optimal Health Program (OHP) - a group program helping to improve wellbeing.
  • Peer Health Coaching - coaching and support around physical health with a peer support worker. (In partnership with SANE Australia).
  • Partnerships with Aboriginal communities

Take care,

Lunar

Hey @SolidRock
How are you going?
D
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance