Skip to main content

Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Blue012
Contributor

Intense cant relax

I suffer huge intense anxiety and I am engaged with professionals! My issue is they all say breathing and yes I know it works and not doing it properly can also bring on my anxiety!

But as soon as I practice or someone tells me to breath properly it brings on my anxiety even the thought and I can just never relax! I've been told this is a learnt behavior and uncommon! I'm lost no idea what to do, I'm not an art craft person either.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Intense cant relax

hi @Blue012

sorry your going through this. it must be hard for you. 

maybe just learning it at your own pace , not at theres. its hard for people to do it, if they have never done it before. i remember when someone was telling me to do it, i just started laughing out loud . but when i went home i did it at my own pace and what works best for me. i hope that helps you a little. 

if you ever want to talk im always here for you

Thankyou I have been practicing to see what's good for me it's just difficult!

Thanks so much for your reply I'll keep trying.

It's like three steps forward then three back unfortunately 

Hi @Blue012

Breathing can work really well for some people in managing anxiety. For others, focusing on breathing can actually increase anxiety as well as making us wonder if we are doing it right! It's great that you are still practising as it is something we can learn to do more effectively in time. However, there are lots of other strategies that can also help to reduce anxiety, and I encourage you to work with your team to discover what these are for you. Anxiety reduction strategies that work for some people include:

- exercise

- mindfulness (not necessarily focussing on the breath but on being present in the moment)

- progressive muscle relaxation

- take time out when you are feeling anxious (e.g. reading, listening to music)

- talk to someone you trust about what is causing your anxiety

- distract yourself from feeling anxious (e.g. watch TV, play with a pet)

- limit caffeine intake

These are just a few alternatives to breathing, there are plenty more strategies out there. Sometimes it takes some trial and error to find out what works best for you!

Take care 🙂

Jupiter

Thanks so much Jupiter! I have many look at me like I'm crazy when I tell people it can bring on anxiety for me! I so appreciate your knowledge, I think wondering if I'm doing it right also has a huge impact but I've never had it mentioned like this before.

I'm definitely ready for trial and error! Thanks again 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance