Skip to main content

Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Panic disorder

Dear Goldie,

i can very much relate to you. I have lived with panic disorder/attacks for over 20 years now. I eventually studied to become a counsellor so that I could assist others going through the same. Please check out “THE STRUGGLE SWITCH” on YouTube by Russ Harris. Out of many therapies I have tried and suggested, Acceptance Commitment Therapy has been amazing, otherwise known as ACT.  Hope this helps you, you are not alone Xx

Panic attacks.
Hi there, I hope this might help. When it comes to Panic attacks, sure medication certainly has its place and is a good way to manage it. But if you think about it, its still getting an outside solution to an inside problem. It’s like a pain killer to a tooth ache. The problem is still there.
I wonder if you understood that if nothing bad is happening to you right NOW - in this present moment, as you read these words. Yet your still feeling anxious, panicked, worried, stressed, guilty, depressed, negative or down. It means that your emotions are not grounded in the present moment. Plus more importantly, what your body has remembered is influencing your thoughts.
It really means that your body and emotions have disconnected from this moment - from NOW.
It means that the emotions you have stored in your body and were hardwired into your brain, have taken you back to how you have felt at some point in the past. Or your subconsciously worried about the future, based on what has happened to you in the past.
Because your body remembers.
Your body is a record of all the experiences, emotions and feelings – good or bad – that you have had in your life.
Your body is your unconscious mind. And it’s been programmed through repetition, to feel and do things in a particular way.
When your having a panic attack, your body as your unconscious mind has taken over control. It is locked in survival mode, in a state of being of panic. And in that moment when your consumed with panic, your body is controlling your thoughts.
How your body feels is influencing your thoughts.
In fact, eventually you end up looking at the world, your self and your life, through the glasses of how your body ‘feels’. It becomes automatic.
Then how your body has come to ‘feel’, is who you believe that you are. And eventually, your body feelings become your means of thinking, because you don’t know how to think greater than how your body feels.
So then even if nothing bad is happening to you, your stuck in this terrible ‘panic attack’ state of being.
Which also means that your body and emotions are not anchored in the safe present moment.
I found that the hardest thing in the world was and sometimes still is, emotionally being in the safe present moment. That’s what I teach people now. How to be aware of your body, your thoughts and feelings and emotions.
How to wake up from this dream state.
When your aware of your self and what your thinking and feeling, that’s when I find people are finally in a space to take control.
If your not in a state of awareness, your living out a programmed set of feelings, behaviours and automatic thoughts.
This means that your life is defined by your past and you’ll will never overcome your panic attacks. Medication will just mask the symptoms.
Plus, you’ll face a predictable future, because your emotionally stuck on repeat, just like a broken CD player. Your stuck in a cycle of thinking and feeling and feeling and thinking.
This really means that you’ve lost your free will, because your body as your unconscious mind is in control, not your conscious mind.
The point being. it WILL get better, but its like your body is experiencing after shocks from an earthquake., its not about giving it time and thinking happy thoughts. You need to learn how to retrain your mind and body to be in the peaceful present moment.

Hey everyone and welcome to all the new members in this thread! I'm one of the forum moderators. It is wonderful to hear so many perspectives, experiences and ideas for managing panic attacks, this forum is an incredible resource. What I'm hearing is there are many approaches to trying to recover from or manage panic attacks, and that different techniques resonate strongly with different people🌻

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance