Skip to main content

Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Former-Member
Not applicable

Then the Bomb Hits!

I haven't spoken to my father in over 2 years because he's emotionally abusive. He is a lire, gambler and druggie! As a child he would spend all our money on gambling and we would have drugs dealers banging at our door threatening us. I was even taken away by the cops.

He's one of those guys who thinks he's a nice man and honest because he will crary someone grocery bags but he has 5 different names and screwing off the government. He would of had enough money due to his work alone not his illegal names to buy to houses out right but no he wasted every cent and lives in housing commission and gets in fights with the drug addicts.

He never gave my mother a cent when I was a kid and we lived below poverty line. I would go on holidays to see family he promised he give me some spending money and then not give it to me so I would cry all holidays and tell Mum it's not his job and her BF (another story of abusive mans) should be paying.

He actually sent guys over to my house as a kid to have my mum bashed up!

Any way I've got a soft heart and i only have one dad and besides that shit he has always made me laugh. He's just and uneducated loser that cant take responsibility for his actions will never learn and acts like a 2 year old with major hissy fits and dose not understand why not one likes him. Well stop breaking into there houses out of anger and streaking stuff and then think you got even the friendship will be fine. The amount of police statements I had to write as a kid!

Any way I've recently got in contact with him to find out he needs back surgery. He's getting it done next month. I felt so guilty as he lives in another state and I can help look after him and he's got zero. He's fault.

He asked me last night as he's scared if he could come and see me a night or two a week before the surgery.

I said to him he could come but there's rules and he's like I know the rules no drinking. And I'm like no there's major rules I'm not well my husband will be telling you. He's like I'm your father you got nothing to worry about. Um just because your family you have zero clue how to treat someone losing the plot with bipolar!!

I told my mum who said no way he should come but I said Ever way he's going to drain me and make me sick or I'm going to be guilty and sick.

I just don't know what to do.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Then the Bomb Hits!

If you love yourself first

Then you can love others

But people will try and wreck your life

And people use 'dirt talk' because they get off on hurting others

And so it can be hard to love yourself

But maybe self-love is something to think about

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Former-Member

I'm sorry i didnt reply yesterday. What a tough situation. I had to walk away from my family because of issues. it was just too hard. my mother was difficult and had her own mi issues as well as drug/alcohol. very angry at times and awful.

I don't know what the right thing to do is in any situation.. in particular when i stopped seeing/contacting my mum i did a pros/cons.. and had to go with looking after myself and my kids first. and its been less stressful for me no having to worry constantly about her stuff/reactions/problems that would then become issues i had to try and deal with. but there was a long time of feeling guilty... and then i though i missed them but really i was missing the idea of a family that i never had... 

Sometimes it is like being caught between a rock and a hard place with family, and its very true that you cant choose your family... 

lj

Former-Member
Not applicable

I just wished I had a normalish family.
Doctors say my family could be one of the reasons behind my mental health. I just don't know how to react to that statement.

Do I still love them and be a good person or go to there house trash it blame them for everything, say every hurtful thing I want to them give them a life time bill for therapy and meds
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance