Skip to main content

Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Tricky
Casual Contributor

Work and expectations

I am getting very frustrated lately cos I am having trouble remembering dates and concentrating at work. It sucks cos it ebbs and wanes and sometimes I'm all over it and at other times I feel like a real idiot. I am worried that people at work may take my inconsistent work as a sign that I am taking the piss and just along for the ride. I often wish that it was just one or the other and not this wishy-washy mix of the two - I really do try to be consistent but it is damn hard when I'm not feeling and it takes a lot of effort that just makes me irritable.
8 REPLIES 8
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Work and expectations

Hi @Tricky

How frustrating it is to have those symptoms.. I find it difficult at times for same reasons. and difficult to concentrate on one task to get it finished. tend to start and wander off.. start soemthing else and drive my frustration rates super high. I usually make 2 lists in the morning when i get to work each day (just sticky notes on my desk). one list is of things that absolutely have to be done by time i go home, the second is things that need to be worked on or i would like to achieve that day if i get time.... I also put everything in my phone calandar and planning diary. 

Have you been able to talk to your boss about how you're going or get soem advice from someone liek a GP or counsellor/psych?

take care

lj

Thanks lj, it's good to know I'm not alone. The postit notes are a good idea; don't mind if I steal it 😁 I have an appt booked to talk to my regular psych and hopefully she'll be able to offer some other solutions as well
Former-Member
Not applicable

lol @Tricky steal away, my goodness i've been useful today! Smiley Surprised

be great if you can share any other strategies you learn from your psych too 🙂 

lj

No worries, I'll pass them on for sure.

@Tricky - I know how you feel!

I do a similar thing to @Former-Member ! I have a daily to-do list (MUST DO!) and then a list of projects that either aren't time bound or aren't due for a while. I use to find that I was okay on the day to day list, but I would let big projects slide - so now I always keep that list front and centre, so that doesn't happen.

I must say, it's quite gratifying to cross things off the list Smiley Very Happy

Hi,

I have exactly the same issue, and sometimes I have issues with my memory due to multiple sessions of ECT.  I find two things work.  Firstly making heaps of notes.  It really is so I don't stuff up but it makes me look super organised Smiley Wink.

Secondly, I have anxiety and depression, and sometimes I just try to "fake it till I make it".  This is not easy to do but what is I do is get to the elevator at work, I leave my worries in the elevator mentally, and promise myself that I will "pick them up" when I go back down the elevator at the end of the day.   I try and leave everything there, doesn't always work but it tends to clear my mind ready for the day ahead.  I try not to let myself think about what is worrying me until the lift ride in the afternoon.  I often find my mind has stopped obsessing over whatever was worrying me by the afternoon.  Of course, often doesn't work but I try anyway.

Good luck!

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Surviving85

i like that idea of leaving things behind in the elevator!! Its like tricking your own brain! I used to be very good at everything being seperate, i could concentrate on just work at work, and all the different parts of life. But not so good at that now. I think i might try something like that (no elevator at my work though so will have to come up with a different method :D). 

I try to do the faking it till you make it... most days i think! Though my therapist said i only feel as though i fake it because it doesnt fit with my core belief that im crud/crap/awful at everything so when i do something ok i feel i must be faking it. So i'm not really faking it.. just doing it and doing it right (even if i feel anxious, depressed on the inside.) not sure if i made that make sense?!

Thanks for sharing these ideas! I'm glad that @Tricky started this thread! Wonder if anyone else has any strategies/tips for surviving work with challenges from mi?

lj

I try to fake it to but it gets exhausting trying my damnest at work with the other stuff there as well. Sometimes it seems to work tho 😃
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance