Skip to main content

Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Eden1919
Senior Contributor

Would you do this?

Hi so I was reading another thread and this question popped into my head. Would you ever push for the person you care for to be put on an involuntary treatment order? In what circumstances would you do this? I am aware this is a bit of a touchy subject but I am hoping someone will answer as I am curious to know form people who have not been on an order themselves.

I myself have been on an involuntary treatment order. And I must say it was one of the worst experiences of my life completely dehumanizing and absolutely terrifying. But that was just my experience. I am curious to hear what people here think about them.

@oscarc @Former-Member @Former-Member @Exhausted1 Hi i thought i would tag you guys as your conversation sparked this question. i also want to make it clear that there is no judgment on this tread only curiosity and i am happy to speak more of my own experience if anyone wants to know. 

16 REPLIES 16

Re: Would you do this?

Hi @Eden1919 🙂

You raise some great questions and concerns in this thread. It is very courageous of you to share your experience and express your concerns, given this could be a touchy subject to some. I am sorry you had such a dehumanising experience in an Involuntary Treatment Facility.

Would you be able to post this comment in the previous thread you saw? Sometimes forum members who have some ideas around your questions find it difficult to locate threads that that are new. I think this post could start a helpful conversation for many here on the forum who are struggling with similar experiences and questions.

There was also this wonderful thread I found on the forums that has a fact sheet about Involuntary Treatment, here.  Perhaps you could give that a read? It may expand upon your experiences or give you new insights. 🙂

Kindest,

Amour_Et_Psyché

Hi @Amour_Et_Psyché It was the brother's schizophrenia thread but i am not sure how to post this comment there. perhaps i could tag some people though and see if they respond. 

Hi @Eden1919

Yes, that sounds like a good idea - you could tag some people from that thread here, and see if they respond. Otherwise, you may copy and paste your initial comment in the brother's schizophrenia thread, as well. It is up to you - whatever you feel comfortable with. 🙂

Kindest,

Amour_Et_Psyché

I guess not.....

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Eden1919

I am happy to answer any questions you might have.

I have never pushed for a treatment order for Mr Darcy, my husband, who I care for but he has been on them twice. As a result I have had to familiarise myself with the local mental health act.

I think it is fair to say that there are mixed feelings in relation to his time under the treatment order and I think there would be for any carer.

I am hearing that you found being on an order very difficult and if you would like to explain this a bit further I would be happy to listen and give my point of view as a carer.

Darcy

@Former-Member well for me the order meant i lost all choice in what happened to my body and my mind even though the meds made me awfully sick i was forced to keep taking them and the way they made me take them was even worse it was horriffic and made the whole situation worse. not to mention the humiliation and the way people talked to you like you were stupid and completely incompetent. for me have to be forced to have injections of something that made me feel worse it felt like i was being assulted and i still have nightmares about it to this day. freedom of choice is something i vale highly and to have that taken away was completely wrong. it was used to threaten and punish me and it is just something that i find goes against human rights. but again that is just my opinion. i can understand holding someone for their saftey and keeping them at a hospital but to force someone to put a substance into their body that they dont want which is causing them serious side effects is just wrong. 

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Eden1919
Do you have a carer? If so, do you know how they feel in relation to the order?
Darcy

@Former-Member My "carer" did not know about the order i hid it from them 

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Eden1919
Do you have any support in relation to your MI?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance