Skip to main content

Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

jamesle2015
Senior Contributor

agoraphobia and anxiety

Has anyone had problems when walking around in public e.g. walking to the shops

The other day I had to go to a shop near work but then I stopped after a minute ..

then I saw someone else walking so I let them go past then I followed them ..

then after that I got there by following them...

it was only a couple of minutes walk but I normally don't go out of the office ..

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

3 REPLIES 3
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: agoraphobia and anxiety

Hi @jamesle2015

I get anxious when i'm out side and different places, but for me its just anxiety and fear. I often move on a mission between places, i feel better if i have a destination/job. just wandering makes me more anxious. I have been walking more to try and help with the anxiety and i need a specific route worked out etc. 

I wonder if @Jacques would have any thoughts to share?

lj

Hi @jamesle2015,

I find going out in public very difficult, i find looking at the ground helps me get to where i need to go, i can block out people and the outside, it is all too overwhelming to me, so i look down, only looking up every once in a while to make sure i am going in the right direction. 

i hope this helps @jamesle2015, i hope it gets easier in time, the more you do it the more comfortable you will become.

take care, thank you @Former-Member, for suggesting me 🙂 i hope you and the children are well 🙂

Jacques

I have had exactly that experience for the past two and a half years since being traumatised and now suffering from PTSD. My brain goes as far as when I am really 'panicky' I choose someone to follow based on their shoe colour or something like that, because I have nothing rational to base my ability to get where I'm going on. I avoid people with red shoes and black shoes and follow people with light coloured shoes. My brain goes into survival mode. It's maddening, but it keeps me from having a panic attack.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance