Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Q&A Info Session // Ask your NDIS questions here! // Mon 12 - Fri 16 June

Introducing the new ‘Q&A Info Session'!

Starting the second Monday of each month, we will have a special guest answer your questions and provide information about a particular topic. For the first few months we will focus on the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).

This session will be run in collaboration with Mental Illness Fellowship Queensland (MIFQ), the Local Area Coordination (LAC) and the NDIA, ensuring the information that is provided to you is helpful and accurate.

Carers Queensland is partnering with the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) to deliver the Local Area Coordinator Partners in the Community Program in the Toowoomba area, working to ensure more people live fulfilling and connected lives.

Carers Queensland is assisting us this week to help answer your NDIS questions.  There are LACs all around the country, in all regional areas (for more info click here https://www.ndis.gov.au/communities/local-area-coordination ).  They will get to know you, what’s important to you and help connect you with services to support you to have the life you want. 

A different LAC will assist us each week we do the NDIS forums. That way we can all help them better understand the needs and concerns of people with lived experience of mental illness.

Here are some quick links to start us off:

Links:   https://www.ndis.gov.au/about-us/what-ndis.html

A quick and important FYI!!

• There is no direct link between supports that are funded by the NDIS and Centrelink.  NDIS funds reasonable and necessary disability supports to enable you to live daily life and achieve your goals, including greater social and economic participation.  NDIS is not income support.   NDIA requires your consent to access your Centrelink records to confirm age and residential information.

• You do not need to be receiving a Disability Support Pension (DSP) to be eligible for the NDIS. The DSP and carer’s pension are separate from the NDIS. Assistance from the NDIS is not means tested and has no impact on income support such as the Disability Support Pension and Carers Allowance.

From Monday, 12 June – Friday, 16 June, we are opening the floor to you to ask whatever you want about NDIS ☺

Responses will take around 24 hours, so be sure to keep checking in!

58 REPLIES 58

Re: Q&A Info Session // Ask your NDIS questions here! // Mon 12 - Fri 16 June

Great idea, @NikNik. Posting this also just so this thread shows up in my notifications. Thanks!

Friday I got a phone call from a 'private' undisclosed number saying they were NDIS, who really confused me. They wanted to know if I would like to REGISTER FOR TRANSITION to the federal scheme over the phone now or receive it in the mail? I didnt know what they were talking about. I was so confused and put off by the secret number and where they got my number from

Q1 Why would NDIS be ringing me? Is it because I've been on DSP with Centrelink - isnt this a breech of confidentiality?

Q2. Do all dsp recipients have to transition to NDIS?

I told them I have things under control atm.and will have to ring Centrelink. She pressed for m# address. I get paranoid / anxious / panic / can't think & just hung up.

Q3. Is there scammers re ndis?

Q4. Is NDIS just ringing everyone on dsp?

Q5. How is NDIS  relevant to those of us who don't have carers.

Q6. Can NDIS be helpful for MI sufferers to access mental health supports when most of us just withdraw?

I was under the impression NDIS was more for people struggling with basic Activities of Daily Living (ADL's) - is this wrong?

Sorry, i'm not quite sure what I'm asking. Maybe you can please put the pieces together for me. Thanks 🌟

Hi @Former-Member - i got a letter a while ago saying that my information was being automatically given to the NDIS from the service provider that i had. If i didnt want this to happen i had to phone some dept that i'd never heard of and given i hate phoning people in general... then i got a letter to say that i would be getting NDIS funding and to expect a phone call.... but havent got one and had no messages from any ndis people. its not a great process.

Thanks @Former-Member, was that Centrelink who contacted you? I dont remember getting any letters about NDIS. I keep falling through the cracks and got use to fending for myself. I don't understand it at all. Got a feeling they don't either. Provided I can pay the rent and access support when unwell (relapse), i dont see the point. Might just wait till they sort out their teething problems and tend to those in greater need than me, like cerebral palsey or quadriplegics maybe. 

Nice to see you 🌷🌿

no, not from centrelink @Former-Member

I'm so confused 😲 who else knows we exist?

I had support form a support worker @Former-Member through a service that i was referred to after i left hospital and from community mental health. so i assume the information came from them. I dont get centrelink as I work.

Can I ask the dumbest question out there?

What exactly IS the NDIS and how does it work? I've heard the acronym numerous times when I was registered with a NGO community mental health service (Aftercare and then later Richmond Fellowship).

How does it effect me (I am on the DSP and don't work)?

What can I expect from it by way of services and will it be of benefit or hinderance to me (honestly)?

I haven't heard a thing from any services nor centrelink about it. I was referred to a PHaMS service local to me after moving to the city from a regional area, but a) I was placed on a two month waiting list four months ago and b) I have no idea what service I was referred to because it was done when I was in the hospital in my last admission. Does the NDIS come into play with referral to services too? 

Sorry for all the dumb questions, I just have NO IDEA WHATSOEVER!

Who is eligible for NDIS?
What services does it offer?
How can it help those of us who are unemployed/on Centrelink and those who re employed?
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance