Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday // Caring for men who don't care about themselves // 27 June, 7pm AEST

Carers Topic Tuesday banner.png

For Topic Tuesday this week, @Pebbles and I will be hosting a session for people who are caring for men who aren't caring for themselves.

Whether it be your partner, brother, friend or son, it can be tough when someone you care about won't seek help. 

Join us from 7pm AEST to be part of the discussion - ask questions, learn some tips and most importantly, be around others who are going through the same thing.

Two things you can do now

1) Hit 'Like' below to get an email notification on the night

2) Can't make the session? Leave your question below to be answered on the night

83 REPLIES 83

Re: Topic Tuesday // Caring for men who don't care about themselves // 27 June, 7pm AEST

Hello everyone 🙂

Welcome to tonight's Topic Tuesday on 'Caring for men who don't care about themselves.' 

For many men, talking about their mental health can be overwhelming. However the importance of doing so is of great significance. Statistics tell us that eight Australians die by suicide every day and six of those will be men. In one year, nearly twice as many men will die by suicide in Australia than die on our roads. 

It's great to have you all here with @NikNik and I tonight.

To get us started would you mind telling us a little about what brings you to this discussion tonight? 

@Sanefan@Kitchen@Frustrated10@Hills,@Sissy88@roses1, @Former-Member, @JayAr@Madeline@TAB@Lexxy17@TraceyWithhope@soul@Maggs52 ,@Lostatsea@nng854g@Shaz51, @Former-Member a@beastmum1, nd @Faith-and-Hope.

Re: Topic Tuesday // Caring for men who don't care about themselves // 27 June, 7pm AEST

I have a 36 year old son with drug dependency and mental health issues and he won't seek help. He admits he has a drug problem but after over dosing a couple of weeks ago a person he is living with is keeping his tablets and scripts that he will be ok. He also has a gambling problem and can't handle his money and continually loses his ID and other possessions 

Hello @Pebbles, @NikNik Smiley Happy

Welcome @Maggs52 ! Hopefully you find some helpful stuff out of tonight's session

Howdy @Shaz51 great to see you 🙂

Hi @Pebbles,

I'm normally on the lived experience forum, but coming here now, as my husband doesn't want to get involved with my metal health, like he doesn't want to join me with my psychiatrist or therapist and I am cautious of what to say as I don't want to trigger him, as he had a traumatic childhood too. Last time I had to go into hospital he had a major depressive episode, not leaving the sofa for a few weeks and I'm just clueless as how to help him, when I still need help myself?

Hello @Peebles,

Thanks for hosting this forum.

I have male family members with mood disorders who don't really like to talk and seek advice. They say that it is up to everyone to get to understand themselves. I am just always interesting in understanding how others understand things.?

Hi there

We have an 18 year old son who has recently been hospitalised for depression and although he is reasonably well, we are having difficulty getting him to see the benefit of complying with all the health professionals advice (ncluding taking his medication regularly).

J

Hi @Former-Member @Shaz51 and @Maggs52

Welcome @JayAr and @Former-Member great to have you all here 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance