Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Feeling excluded in a loved ones treatment journey // Tues 21 Aug, 7pm AEDT

@Lynne1 wrote:

That's so true Margot. It's about moving from the old model of service provider as expert towards seeing carers as partners towards recovery. 

I like that language.  Have you spoken to service providers in that vein and acheived better results?

Re: Topic Tuesday // Feeling excluded in a loved ones treatment journey // Tues 21 Aug, 7pm AEDT

No problem @outlander Sounds like a good plan. Thanks for joining in for a bit and look after yourself tonight 🌻

@Lynne1

I have felt invisible despite being the responsible person for my husband of 34 years who was on a treatment order but no more.

These are the things that helped me

1. Knowing carer rights

2. Understanding how carer communication works and who'd responsibility it is - this is what works for us

- I email written observations and concerns to case worker prior yo consultation

- Pdoc  sees patient with case worker on their own, at end of consult I get called in for summary, if Mr D wants me to advocate for him, this is when I speak up.

- I do not and would not go in to therapist appt - he needs to be able to speak to them freely without feeling I have influenced them.

-Case worker - we go in together - things that are discussed are safety plan.

I would suspect that lodging s complaint may have had a bearing on things.

hello @Lynne1, @Margot Smiley Happy

The effect of exclusion in my experience

I’ve been aware of some contact between the loved one in this scenario and their GP, some medications that have been prescribed, and various community crisis-based services that have given support. However I have never ever been included in any of these, nor invited, nor contacted. Quite likely, other than the GP, they don’t know I’m involved. And yet, I believe that being included would have provided:

• Opportunities to give important background information,
  • A clearer picture of their needs
  • Learnings for me to better manage my place in the scenario
  • A way to be informed of trigger points for and against their improved mental health

Qu: In what ways would being included in your loved one’s treatment and support have helped you, and those you care for?

Your advice is spot on. I especially appreciated your comment about not going into sessions with him, because he needs the privacy and freedom to speak for himself. 

Our diagnosed BP isn't under a treatment order, and I'm not sure whether she would qualify for one or not. 

Cultural change can often be quite slow for sure @CharlieBravo And often it can depend on the culture of the service as to how much they supprot their staff to include family and carers. 

Hi @Shaz51 Welcome to the discussion 🐼

Some great tips there @Former-Member Sounds like you do a really good job at negotiating your inclusion with Mr D and his treatment team. 

@Lynne1 wrote:

The effect of exclusion in my experience

I’ve been aware of some contact between the loved one in this scenario and their GP, some medications that have been prescribed, and various community crisis-based services that have given support. However I have never ever been included in any of these, nor invited, nor contacted. Quite likely, other than the GP, they don’t know I’m involved. And yet, I believe that being included would have provided:

• Opportunities to give important background information,
  • A clearer picture of their needs
  • Learnings for me to better manage my place in the scenario
  • A way to be informed of trigger points for and against their improved mental health

Qu: In what ways would being included in your loved one’s treatment and support have helped you, and those you care for?

I agree, particularly about the opportunity to provide more background.  We believe our BP can present very well to her therapists ansd workshop group, and that she tells them the rest of the family needs therapy, not her.

Darcy, my last post was in response to your practical and informed comment, I left out your name. It's challenging for you that in spite of being so well informed and willing to contribute, you still feel invisible. 

@Former-Member wrote:

@Lynne1

I have felt invisible despite being the responsible person for my husband of 34 years who was on a treatment order but no more.

These are the things that helped me

1. Knowing carer rights

2. Understanding how carer communication works and who'd responsibility it is - this is what works for us

- I email written observations and concerns to case worker prior yo consultation

- Pdoc  sees patient with case worker on their own, at end of consult I get called in for summary, if Mr D wants me to advocate for him, this is when I speak up.

- I do not and would not go in to therapist appt - he needs to be able to speak to them freely without feeling I have influenced them.

-Case worker - we go in together - things that are discussed are safety plan.

I would suspect that lodging s complaint may have had a bearing on things.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance