Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum News and Updates

AirTrafficOne
Casual Contributor

The Title "MentalAs" is so inapprapriate

Why on earth does mental illness have to be treated in such a lighthearted and foolish way?  Which 25 year old clueless marketing graduate thought up "mentalas"?  "mental as" has been a derogatory term for many many years and is just inappropriate for any of us over 35.

Is cancer treated this way with "stupid names"?  No.  Nor are any other illnesses that I can think of.

I am a retired military officer with a 15 year diagnosis of bipolar and PTSD.  I am properly medicated, very cognisant of my conditions and high functioning with many fine friends and opportunities for travel.  I have a teenage son who I love.

We have to STOP talking about mental illness in such a "flippant and trivial" way to try and get attention from the "general public".  This approach is not doing any of us any favours.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: The Title "MentalAs" is so inapprapriate

The title spelling is wrong "inappropriate is more appropriate!

Yes, I think there are a terms in the area of MI that seem to stigmatise.

It is a difficult area, as it seems to imply a culture change and that would take time to find ways/things that will work. 

I had found the ABC program “Changing Minds” pretty confronting. So it is hard, even for the likes of me with A&D, to appreciate the full scope of MI, let alone those fortunate to not experience any form of it at all. 

Maybe we need to build into our culture more awareness, education and understanding of MI and for terms to have more compassionate (not patronising) meaning.

Hi @AirTrafficOne, welcome to the Forums.  I'm sure you're not alone in your concern about the term 'mental as'.  I've just been googling it to try to find an explanation as I'm sure I read one not so long ago.  Google failed me tonight but from what I remember the reason is along the lines of reclaiming the language that has been used as an insult in the past.  If term or word is used by people with a MI, or by the people within the sector, then it can't be used by others to wound.  Same kind of thinking around the adoption of racial slurs so that they can no longer be used to hurt.

Another angle is that by using humour we open up the conversation in a less challenging way that can help to reduce the stigma and isolation that can come with mental illness.  It's a theory I guess.

Having said that, I understand your perspective.  If I'd also worked hard to stay well and to create a full and enjoyable life I wouldn't be able to relate to the term.  Or appreciate it's use. 

If I'm right about the reasons, do you think there could be any value in using the term 'mental as'?  

Re: The Title "MentalAs" is so inappropriate

I do not know anyone over 35 who has a mental illness who would consider using the term "mental as".  I stand firm, for me and them, that it is a term that has been plucked from somewhere and whoever has chosen it, whether a person or committee, could have done a lot better.

It is insensitive and has certainly got our backs up.

I completely agree - making it 'trendy' to 'talk about it' without anything more only makes people who don't have diagnosed mental illness armchair experts. 

If you'd like to contact the ABC about it, their contact details are here: http://about.abc.net.au/talk-to-the-abc/feedback-and-enquiries/

@AirTrafficOne My 2c worth is I really am not offended by the ABC choosing MentalAs as the title.

I reckon there is a lot to be offended about in the world, such as the use and abuse of animals for food, the power over of some people locking kids up in detention in our own country, the burning of the rainforests across East Asia for palm oil, the rate of domestic violence in our country...

I know words can harm or help - AND - I am over 50 years old and still think "Mental As" is okay, reminds me of a band from the '80's I used to dance to, and some days, I am... Mental As.

But I can fully appreciate that some would find the title disrespectful and innapropriate, I just hope that judgement about it doesn't preclude participation. I personally don't like the "SANE" word , ha! These forums can be accessed using differnt poertals with all the same content so perhaps accessing it via SANE or one of the other services might be helpful if "MentalAs" is a barrier to participation?

You can access the same forums under a different banner here: http://saneforums.org

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance