Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Decluttering and home maintenance

@Eve7  how are your wrist and massive declutter going?

Have you got your new chair @Determined ?

Have the new chair and well on the way to wearing it out lol.

Now wonder why I left it for so long other than the obvious $ 

Don't think I specified but it is a massage chair. While expensive it does have  significant therapeutic benefits. 

Hi @Former-Member  I see the surgeon on Tuesday so hoping all is well with my wrist and I can drive again.

The big de clutter is a work in progress but it is happening.

Thanks for asking. How are you and Mr Darcy?

Hope you get the all clear to drive @Eve7 . Would love to hear of any of your decluttering successes.

Have a few items at our place that still need attention and am slowly working through them.  We are waiting on a builder to do some work and am hoping once that is done I will be able to deal with the majority of it.

I’ve cleaned out all my bedroom drawers and had 2 bags of stuff for Vinnies @Former-Member 

I read somewhere that people who like to read should not declutter! Last weekend I read the Diary of Anne Frank so that caused a bit of procrastination!

I’ve just thrown out 5 pairs of running shoes and am only keeping one pair for every day exercise and a pink pair to wear in the Mother’s Day run.

Tonight I looked in a cupboard that has 8 (would you believe) silver goblets that I last used at my 40th birthday when I had a princess party so they can go back to Lifeline!

WTG @Eve7 images - 2021-01-04T214347.750.jpeg

I've been doing some unused-clothing sorting recently, that's about the only current decluttering project. The garden is a much more attractive place to be at the moment.

I've been checking the unwanted family clothing over carefully. Op shops can only sell good condition stuff, so anything that's got a stain or hole goes to landfill, at the shop's expense, which kinda negates the intention behind donating to them. So the good stuff has gone into a "donate" box", the scruffy stuff I'll attempt to use for craft projects, or whatever's too far gone for that maybe as cleaning rags.

Bit of excitement happening here, our builder popped in today and looks like our renovation is set to start in February.  Today we moved a table out to the patio to make room in our family area for a temporary home office as well as storage for beds and some other items not yet allocated a home since our move.

There is still some sorting I can do and I started clearing out some folders that have papers we no longer need including recipes taken from magazines that I am not likely to use. 

Yes that does sound exciting @Former-Member Sounds like you've been steady & constant with that decluttering...

Adge

@Former-Member, yeah, magazine recipes can be a trap. And craft and home decorator projects. My Mum's extensive collection was largely tossed out, but my sister and I kept the odd thing here and there that did interest us.

Apart from the clutter aspect of it, one problem with them is that they can end up carrying a "guilt trip" because they were things that you meant to do be never got around to. And/or they're a source of disappointment. Things you wanted to do but never got the chance to.

I've made a habit of slipping magazine recipes I think might actually get used into a related recipe book. My favourite choc brownies recipe was cut out of a newspaper, and I know exactly where to find it, tucked inside the cover of a "cakes, biscuits and slices" recipe book.

Nowadays most of my saved recipies etc. are on my copmputer... which can be a trap of a different sort, given I'm running short of memory space. I'm resisting offloading files onto a memory stick, on the grounds that if I do that, I'll possibly never get around to culling any of them. Funny thing though- I think there's less emotional connection to a virtual "save" than a physical one. The only issue is making the time to sort though and "trash" the unwanted bits.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance