Skip to main content

Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

Enquiry

Hi im 20yrs old and am a carer for my pop. As well as being one of the primary carers for my 2 younger sisters as my mum works. ..

I find it very hard to get any time to myself and i suffer from 3 severe mental health conditions but i feel like im just going around in circles.
What do you find helps get time to yourself and what activities do you like to do?
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Enquiry

Hi @Former-Member

We try all sorts of things .. some are homey ..others are more about therapy

You have a lot of responsibility for others 

Even just dropping into the Hot Chocolate thread .. to say hello ..can break the cycles sometimes.

Take care of YOU too.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Ok thank you 🙂
NikNik
Senior Contributor

Hi @Former-Member

I just read your story and was wondering if you have been in contact with Young Carers before? It's a service that can help you connect with others in the same boat. Also they may have some information and advice to get support for yourself - perhaps some respite time so you can get some time to yourself.

You're a wonderful support for your pop - I hope you're taking care of yourself too.

Nik

Former-Member
Not applicable

No i haven't heard of them before but ill have a look

Thank you i try to be there for everyone and im one of the primary carers for my 2 younger sisters as well

I never put myself first and i feel really selfish it i do things for myself so don't really do me
NikNik
Senior Contributor

If you think about it though @Former-Member , taking care of yourself and your own wellbeing means you're in an even better position to care for someone else. So it may feel selfish - but it's a win-win for you & your loved ones.

I hope Young Carers can help you out, because you deserve the support. Your family is lucky to have you.
Former-Member
Not applicable

Thank you @NikNik

Ill try to think about it that way esp everytime i do something for myself 🙂

Ive had a quicker look at the young carers link and there could be something useful there 🙂
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance