Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Powderfinger
Senior Contributor

Inducted into Rotary. Disillusioned perhaps?

I was recently inducted into Rotary. Lately, I've been feeling if it's something I want to continue with into 2021. A lot was going on when I initially started with Rotary. Not good things. I haven't completely made up my mind. 

My club has fallen behind. It needs a good shake up. There are quite a few things I've identified that need work. There is definitely what I feel some underhanded things going on. Then again as a new member and my current reality being do distorted, I perhaps feel that my decisions may be a bit premature. I'm unsure. 

I do notice a lot if things happening. I speak to the president directly now and bought quite a few things to her attention. I've worked on not feeling bad for giving her extra work to do. At Rotary, we are all volunteers. We are not paid. I forget that sometimes. 

Next year there will be big changes for me. 2020 completely sucked the entire way through, it still sucks now. 

I know I will not have made a decision around Rotary specifically by the start of the new year. My only answer at the moment is to not throw myself in like I have these past few months,.and observe quietly about the good and not do good I've experienced thus far with Rotary. Only then until I feel comfortable will I make a decision. 

Part of being a Rotarian is about ones career, developing your career within Rotary and also community work. It's not simple. It's work. 

I feel that what I've seen so far is going to make my goals of doing so incredibly difficult. 

If it gets to this stage where I can no longer stay quiet, I do plan to officially and formally state my case to the president and board. I'm a writer and have written loads of professional letters to high bodies within Australia, including magistrates and many boards. 

In Rotary, each profession has merit. I feel if that is ignored and my ideas for the club will be constantly shut down as a result of the power and control I see, I will make a decision to leave Rotary and out my efforts to perhaps a new Rotary, another organisation or a different part of Rotary. 

I dont know at all yet because right now me and my life is literally a huge mess. I'm in no shape to tackle these things. I'm so unwell that I'm actually very frightened. 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Inducted into Rotary. Disillusioned perhaps?

Busy as ever, @Powderfinger ! Glad to hear you've got the president's ear on some of the issues you've been encountering. Don't forget that bureaucratic wheels turn slowly, that all organisations are jampacked full of imperfect humans, and don't forget to look after yourself, too!

Re: Inducted into Rotary. Disillusioned perhaps?

@Gwynn 

Ok. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance